Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team
We are looking for an engineer to join our Places Quality and Clustering team. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. From restaurants to bars, stores to parks, hotels to colleges, our database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world. The Foursquare places database is considered the largest and highest quality independent dataset in the world. In addition to powering our branded products, Places is the location layer for the internet, powering the location features of tens of thousands developers including Apple, Microsoft, Uber and many more. We are currently looking for a Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer depending on your experience.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Build Hadoop MapReduce and Spark processing pipelines using Scala and Python
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production
- Work with Data Scientists to bring machine learning models into production
- Build internal tools for monitoring and investigation purposes
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience with Hadoop MapReduce and/or Spark data processing pipelines
- Experience with analytics systems (e.g. OLAP, BI tools) and/or ML technologies a plus
- Proficiency in Scala, Python, Java, and/or Ruby
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights
- Experience with services like (EMR & S3) on AWS
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.