Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the role:
The ideal candidate will be a strategic, visionary leader and manager who can roll their sleeves up and design and execute inspiring multimedia stories across internal and external audiences -- whether employees, partners or current and prospective clients. You can take technical and analytic concepts and communicate them in simple and compelling ways. This role will oversee communications efforts including employee and executive communications, PR, thought leadership, social, awards and industry recognition, analyst relations and public affairs. This person will manage a small team that brings to life the intersection of technology, public policy and corporate reputation. The position reports to the SVP of Marketing.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Create the messaging pillars and external communications strategy that will propel Foursquare as the leading platform in location data.
- Act as lead storyteller for the brand and create unique and compelling company, category, and product/technology narratives to continue to raise our profile and elevate our brand in the market
- Develop PR strategy, assembling persuasive content and story angles to proactively pitch to reporters, editors and producers in appropriate press verticals.
- Devise news angles to coordinate response to incoming press queries as well as editorial calendar opportunities.
- Manage content marketing team to deliver compelling and data-driven editorial content to our primary audiences that solidifies brand reputation but also drives interest and engagement.
- Advance the strategy and voice for executive communications; including speaking engagements, media interviews, social media channels, and internal communications
- Establish analyst relations programs with the industry’s experts for ongoing communication and education of industry analysts, facilitating analyst briefings and interviews and preparing analyst briefing tours, presentations, and documents
- Recognize impactful policy trends translating those insights into actionable ideas into a cohesive communications strategy.
- Develop strategic communications for public affairs activities, informed by prior experience
- Develop proactive and reactive communications strategies to address issues that could impact the company's reputation. Develop a readiness strategy for crisis, unexpected and time sensitive situations.
- Support a range of corporate issues and crisis communications situations including privacy/ data breach issues, digital technology, investigative reporting, and more
- Experience working with legal teams, both in-house and outside counsel
- Develop, manage, and execute earned events and awards strategy
- Develop internal communication strategy and execution that drives culture and company pillars
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Business, Communications, Public Relations or related field required. Masters' degree in Communications or MBA preferred.
- 15+ years of proven communications experience in corporate/executive communications with a focus on data, technology or platforms and a strong emphasis on public affairs
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high impact strategic external communication plans and results
- Strong media relations experience and relationships not only with traditional journalist but with podcast and social media talent
- Expert knowledge of the data and privacy industry
- Excellent writer and detail-oriented editor with knowledge of journalistic style
- Accomplished communicator and presenter with a track record of success and exceptional business partnering
- Well versed in managing complex issues and multiple priorities with sound judgment and adaptability
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.