Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About this Position:
Foursquare is looking for a Director/Senior Director of Product for our Places product and venues database. Our POI data is at the core of all of our location services with over 100mm locations built through a wide range of sources including our 50k+ user base. From restaurants to bars, stores to parks, hotels to colleges, our database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world. The Foursquare places database (now combined with Factual) is considered the largest and highest quality independent dataset in the world. In addition to powering our branded products, Places is the location layer for the internet, powering the location features of tens of thousands developers, including Apple, Microsoft, Uber and many more.
You’ll be responsible for managing a team of product managers, working cross-functionally with the senior management team and developing a strong vision for Places. Your role will be to continue to develop our Places database into the most comprehensive and highest quality source of location data for use by both Foursquare products as we look to further grow revenue from external developers.
- Develop long term strategy, vision and priorities for your team
- Partner with engineering leads to ensure team of PM’s, designers and engineers are operating effectively at all levels
- Manage cross-team dynamics to ensure the entire team is successful, proactively instituting process improvements across your team, e.g., review and provide feedback on roadmaps, strategic plans and feature specs
- Plan the structure of your team, managing headcount, succession planning, external hires and internal transfers
- Motivate your team through a variety of strategies to ensure they are engaged and connected to the larger company mission
- Communicate status and challenges to upper management and across to stakeholders as you work cross-functionally with other teams to execute features and ensure a cohesive integration across the broader organization.
- Present a compelling narrative of the division and company strategy to large groups both internal and external to Foursquare
- Own the OKR setting process for your teams, working closely with business partners to ensure all teams working towards the same goals
- Manage the performance of your team of product managers, including providing regular feedback, holding recurring 1:1’s, writing performance reviews, determining compensation, making promotion decisions, evaluating team against ladder, leveling up the skill set of your PMs, helping PMs set career goals, coaching through difficult situations, providing honest critical feedback.
- Create a transparent, collaborative and dynamic team culture, embracing Foursquare’s core values and serving as a model to the organization
- Work closely with the product leadership team to set standards for the product team
- Serve as the subject matter expert for the domains in your division and provide guidance to the leadership team into customer needs, business strategy, marketplace dynamics and competitors
- Attend conferences and customer calls, gathering information from current and prospective customers as well as helping close deals
- Stay up to date on product development across the company, identifying dependencies, potential impact to your team, and opportunities for to drive larger impact
- Experience: You have 7-10+ years product management experience on developer platform products. Bonus: experience in location space and/or with APIs.
- Management: You have directly managed a team of 2+ product managers
- Execution: You have led multiple product teams which are able to execute consistently, delivering quality projects of the broadest scope and impact on time
- UX: You are passionate about creating intuitive, simple user experiences. You have a strong eye for usability and quality design. You are a strong partner to and advocate for design
- Technical: You are comfortable working with engineering leadership to prioritize broadly and you understand technical complexities of your product areas
- Analytical: You have a good grasp of experiment design, statistical analysis and multivariate testing. You can use data to set OKRs, create dashboards to monitor product health, review analyses from across the company and develop basic models. You can construct a narrative for using data in order to drive the decision making process
- Organizational skills: You are able to manage multiple teams with stakeholders across the organization. You have experience working closely with business & marketing partners
- Communication: You’re a strong communicator, both written and orally. You enjoy working with complex concepts and distilling them down so that anyone can understand them. You’re comfortable working cross functionally with stakeholders and can manage competing needs to drive alignment and resolution
- Diplomatic: You know how to work with all different types of personalities, and can navigate tough conversations
- Adaptive: You are curious, optimistic and a skilled problem-solver. You embrace the unknown and are able to adapt to shifts in priorities.You look outside your day to day to ensure you keep learning and growing
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.