Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team
The Developer and Consumer team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that empowers people to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Places API and Pilgrim SDK to our apps Foursquare City Guide, Swarm and Panel app. We give developers the tools to make location an integral part of their own applications, and provide compelling experiences to our own users. The Developer and Consumer team is a high impact team and a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
About the role:
Foursquare is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead our Application Systems team, responsible for the backend software and architecture that powers our Developer and Consumer products. This person will be responsible for their team’s execution and ability to ship high quality software in a fast paced environment. They will also be responsible for setting the team technical direction and roadmaps, making sure the right process is in place to help the team deliver. They will help to cultivate the growth of the engineers on the team and their career paths at Foursquare. This role can be either at the Engineering Manager or Senior Engineering Manager level depending on your experience.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Manage and coach a team of talented backend engineers
- Responsible for the team's technical roadmap and direction, working closely with Product Management, Mobile Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering and Business Development to achieve company goals
- Manage the development of scalable and robust consumer applications and developer APIs
- Identify and track critical diagnostic metrics for the health and growth of our core technologies
- Evaluate and introduce new technologies, processes and policies when necessary.
- Partner with other engineering and product teams and department stakeholders to align on and drive forward broader engineering and company initiatives
- Grow and build a diverse and effective team by recruiting for the team, establishing hiring and retention goals, interviewing norms, and evolving the onboarding process for new team members
- 5+ years of proven industry experience developing and operating backend software
- 2+ years experience managing an engineering team
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to convey intricate systems and logic to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven ability to maintain and improve employee engagement, aligning teams toward company goals and vision
- Proficient in capacity planning and project management, ensuring consistent and predictable deliveries
- Track record of reliably shipping and scaling high-quality products as an individual contributor and manager
- Excellent problem solving and large-scale systems debugging skills, and analytical skills to find answers
Nice to have:
- Experience building scalable systems for consumer products
- Consider yourself a player-coach, with the ability to jump into an IDE and help get a feature shipped, in addition to helping the team to do their best work
- Understand modern backend application architecture, familiar with deployment process and monitoring tools
- Strong desire to tackle large-scale problems and build software which is used by millions of users
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.