Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team
The Developer and Consumer team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Places API and Pilgrim SDK to our apps Foursquare City Guide, Swarm and Panel app. We spend time building features and products that give developers the tools to make location an integral part of their own applications and provide compelling user experiences centered around location to users of our apps. The Developer and Consumer team is a high impact team and a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
About the role
This role utilizes a strong background in distributed systems to help build the core online and offline platforms that drive the data services for our Developer and Consumer-facing products. We want you to be comfortable running with your own ideas, ready to drive team innovation and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (e.g., Scala, Hadoop, Kafka, Python, Thrift, Spark, Luigi, EMR, Databricks, MongoDB, Memcached, Redis, Chef, Aurora, Mesos, Pants), but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine. We are currently looking for a Senior Data Platform Engineer or Staff Data Platform Engineer depending on your experience.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Own, maintain and modernize all aspects of the Developer and Consumer team’s online and offline data systems
- Develop and maintain Foursquare's event streaming platform and applications for data ingestion
- Build cost-effective and seamless applications to run across Amazon EMR
- Collaborate with engineering teams on implementing and deploying large scale data processing applications.
- Lead cross-team coordination and mentor other engineers on the teams
- Build and run Big Data processing pipelines.
- 8-10 years of software engineering, 5 years of Big Data engineering, and tech lead experience
- Experience building and maintaining event streaming platforms ( Kafka, Spark, Security, Producer and consumer API’s)
- Expert knowledge of Big Data and AWS concepts ( Hdfs, Yarn, Hive, S3, EC2, EMR)
- Experience working in a fast-paced programming environment with hands on experience in continuous deployment and agile methodologies
- Experience in building and supporting data systems used by other Engineering teams
Nice to have:
- Experience with the Luigi scheduler is a plus
- Experience in Scala is a plus
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.