Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About our Senior Data Scientist Role:
We are looking for a data scientist who is excited by the challenge of solving big data problems using a wide array of modeling and quantitative techniques. Members of Foursquare’s data science team are responsible for owning important methodological components of our Targeting to Measurement products. This person will have the opportunity to tackle the challenges posed by continuous flow of massive data from heterogeneous sources (often have different data structures as well) using various big data analytics.
This individual will have a deep understanding of data science concepts and techniques across the disciplines of applied statistics and machine learning. This role has the ability to develop new solutions/algorithms and build scalable prototypes of novel methodologies from the ground up. Communication skills using data visualization for effectively sharing insights found in data with stakeholders will be a plus.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Build supervised and unsupervised learning systems to build user profiles and extract visitation behavior from sensor data.
- Drive feature engineering and experimentation to improve performance of our various algorithms
- Collaborate with engineering teams on implementing and deploying large scale data processing pipelines
- Build internal tools for monitoring and investigation purposes
- Lead cross-team cooperation and mentor junior scientists
- 5+ years of work or educational experience in data science, machine learning, statistics, or applied mathematics.
- PhD degree or comparable research experience in a quantitative field
- Proven track record of delivering on products and/or practical research endeavors
- Programing skill for advanced computing (experience with the Python science stack and/or Scala required)
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, AWS EMR or similar frameworks is a plus
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.