Want to disrupt one of the largest industries in the world? Fortera is a Renewable Materials Technology Company headquartered in Silicon Valley that has created a new low-cost, low CO2 cement that can reduce cement emissions by 60% and global CO2 emissions by 5%. The technology is inspired by nature and directly converts CO2 into a replacement for ordinary cement, turning a problem into a product. With over ten years of testing and 100,000 hours of R&D backing the technology, Fortera is ready to grow the team and begin commercial production of this exciting new product. Be on the ground floor of a carbon-to-value movement that will impact millions for generations to come. We are looking for passionate thinkers, doers, and problem-solvers who share our vision that big challenges are big opportunities for change. Visit www.forteraglobal.com for more information.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Scientist with specialized knowledge in wet chemistry for calcium carbonate materials. As a senior member of our R&D team, you will be responsible for leading and conducting research, development, and optimization of the wet chemistry process to produce calcium carbonate materials. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to optimize existing processes, drive innovation, develop new methodologies, and ensure efficient and cost-effective production.
- Process Development and Optimization: Lead the design, development, and optimization of wet chemistry processes for the production of calcium carbonate materials. Employ your deep understanding of precipitation, crystallization, and purification techniques to enhance process efficiency, product quality, and yield. Identify and implement process improvements based on scientific analysis and experimental results.
- Research and Innovation: Stay abreast of the latest scientific advancements and emerging technologies in wet chemistry. Drive research initiatives to develop novel methodologies, explore new materials, and address specific customer requirements or market demands. Collaborate with research and development teams to translate laboratory-scale processes into large-scale production.
- Experimental Design and Execution: Plan and execute laboratory-scale experiments to validate process hypotheses, assess the feasibility of innovative ideas, and troubleshoot process-related issues. Develop and utilize experimental protocols, statistical analysis, and data-driven approaches to extract valuable insights and guide process optimization.
- Data Analysis and Modeling: Analyze experimental data and process parameters to identify trends, correlations, and critical variables. Utilize mathematical and statistical modeling techniques to optimize process parameters, predict outcomes, and guide process scaling. Collaborate with data scientists and engineers to develop advanced modeling tools for process simulation and optimization.
- Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including engineers, researchers, and stakeholders, to ensure effective integration of wet chemistry processes within the overall production workflow. Communicate research findings, project updates, and recommendations to both technical and non-technical audiences through written reports, presentations, and technical discussions.
- Safety: Maintain strong focus on safety and environmental compliance. Ensure that all wet chemistry processes and associated equipment meet applicable regulatory requirements, industry standards, and integral guidelines.
- Project Management: Manage multiple research and development projects simultaneously, ensuring adherence to timelines, budgets, and quality standards. Coordinate resources, monitor progress, and provide regular updates to stakeholders. Collaborate with project managers and other team leaders to ensure seamless project execution.
- Mentoring and Leadership: Provide mentorship and technical guidance to junior scientists and engineers. Foster a culture of scientific excellence, collaboration, and innovation. Stay updated on emerging trends in wet chemistry and actively participate in professional development activities to enhance your expertise.
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field. A Ph.D. is preferred but not required.
- Proven experience (typically 10+ years) in wet chemistry process engineering, focusing on producing calcium carbonate materials.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and the aptitude to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Proven track record of leading and executing complex scientific projects, including experimental design, data analysis, and modeling.
- In-depth knowledge of wet chemistry processes, including precipitation, crystallization, and purification techniques, as applied to calcium carbonate materials.
- Proficiency in process optimization methodologies, project management principles, and continuous improvement tools (e.g., Lean Six Sigma).
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze complex technical issues and develop innovative solutions.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to convey technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to align process engineering strategies with overall organizational goals.
- Knowledge of safety regulations, environmental compliance, and quality management systems relevant to chemical research and development.
The compensation package for this role includes a competitive base salary commensurate with experience with a range of $120,000 - $150,000 as well as an annual bonus and pre-IPO incentive stock options.
PERKS AND BENEFITS:
We know that happy employees are productive employees, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverages for employees
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account options
- Tax deferred & Roth 401k
- Paid vacation days (increased with tenure), 12 paid holidays, and unlimited PTO for exempt employees.
Fortera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.