Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion-dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
The trucking team’s mission is to make Trucking efficient, reliable, and transparent for our operators, carriers, and clients.
We are the team that builds and supports Flexport’s Transmission platform. Transmission is a transportation management system built for Trucking carriers that helps them execute load requests sent from Flexport. Carriers use Transmission to plan their drivers' days, log milestones for loads (e.g. when did cargo depart), communicate with Flexport operations, and monitor driver performance. In addition, we are leveraging 3rd party data sources such as the truck's GPS devices and ports to create a great experience for our customers. The Trucking engineering team is responsible for building software that helps our operations team plan our trucking capacity, execute the shipments within the promised transit times, and manage invoices for carriers as well.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager for the Trucking team in Chicago where you will work closely with our business partners to drive our goals and strategy for Trucking procurement and planning. This team is responsible for maintaining all of our procured rates and then feeding them into the planning process. The team is also responsible for modeling trucking procured inventory. This team also works closely with our data science team to help build the machine-learning models that power our planning algorithms.
- Expertly design and own technical solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful, strategic approaches.
- Manage and coach a team of talented engineers and help develop their careers.
- Work closely with product and business stakeholders to drive strategy for Trucking planning and procurement.
- Work with engineering leaders across Flexport to help build scalable programs that standardize information flow and increase operational capacity.
- Set a standard of technical excellence on the team and drive impact.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times a day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have:
- 8+ years of technical experience building scalable systems.
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing, and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data
- Bias for constantly learning new technologies and driving a culture of excellence across the organization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to weigh trade-offs.
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment & a bias for action. You ship quality code quickly and decisively.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network-isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s Freight Forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.