Engineering Manager, Forwarding Applications
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
The Forwarding Applications team is responsible for building the software that freight forwarders use to move goods around the world. We build the best in class forwarding software that powers a global distribution network operated by Flexport and its Partners to offer and fulfill the earth’s largest selection of freight service offerings with global coverage, high reliability and at a low cost. We work with product, design, and data teams to solve problems of work allocation and optimization. You’ll manage a highly technical team of full-stack engineers to help develop impactful and quality products in a fast growing business. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry, specifically related to forwarding flow optimization and automation.
- Be accountable for the delivery of the Forwarding platform, making sure the team achieves short term and long term objectives.
- Lead large, complex projects and be ultimately responsible for its delivery and output, working closely with product managers and other engineers.
- Own the efficiency of the team by continuously improving the development process.
- Assist the company's SOA effort in creating new services apart from the monolith.
- Manage and mentor other junior manager(s) on the Forwarding Application team, provide guidance and career goal opportunities.
- Manage the career path and goals of your team members, conducting regular 1-on-1s, and giving feedback.
- Describe, analyze, and drive agreement on major technical decisions.
- Expertly design and own technical solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful strategic approaches.
- Build a deep understanding of your team's domain and how our business works.
- Collaborate effectively with business, product managers and designers to influence the roadmap and prioritize projects.
You should have
- At least 3+ years of experience managing highly productive teams of engineers and managers
- Highly motivated by mentoring and growing managers and engineers
- Work with a high level of autonomy and responsibility for your team, but are skilled to influence and partner with adjacent teams
- Track record of delivering on ambitious goals with high quality
- Track record of ramping up onto a new business domain quickly and make influence over product and engineering decisions
- Experience leading large projects with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to set technical vision for larger projects and coordinate technical work spanning multiple engineering teams
- You have a product-first approach to building software and you care about the real-world functionality of your programming
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and GitHub. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling a monolithic Rails app into a service-oriented architecture including Ruby, Java and Kotlin services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.