Senior Engineering Manager, Forwarding Applications
Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is a platform for global trade in an industry that comprises 12% of the global GDP. We are the first licensed freight forwarder and customs brokerage built around a modern tech stack. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet.
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. The Senior Engineering Manager will work alongside other engineering leaders and self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry.
This role requires an engineering background to reshape the freight forwarding industry. Manage a software engineering team, engineering managers, and own architecture design decisions. Mentor and train other team members on tech strategy, roadmaps, architecture, design techniques, and coding standards. Work with business users and product managers to prioritize product and technical backlogs. Build and deliver a highly efficient system to increase operational capacity. Have indirect influence beyond functional boundaries, such as with product management on technical feasibility and roadmap, or with test engineering on tooling and execution needs.
- Collaborate with other engineering and cross-functional leaders to define the roadmap for the team
- Provide guidance to the Operations product management team and influence product roadmaps
- Identify and drive cross-functional technical efforts across teams. Manage priorities, deadlines, and deliverables for technically oriented projects across multiple teams.
- Manage a software engineering team, including managers, and own architecture design decisions. Decide how to refactor the existing monolithic system to a service-oriented architecture or microservices.
- Coach team members and invest in their career growth and success
- Build and deliver a highly efficient system to increase operational capacity. Actively partner with product, design, and peers.
- Drive a culture of operational excellence across the engineering organization
You should have
- At least 3 years of experience managing engineering teams of 6 or more
- 10+ years of professional experience in a Software Development Role
- Demonstrated drive to constantly learn new technologies; have knowledge of the broad technical landscape in Enterprise Software systems and cloud systems (e.g. AWS)
- Ability to set technical vision for large scale projects that involve coordination among multiple teams
- Ability to coordinate internal technical work with outside partnership/external deadlines
- Advanced analytical problem-solving talent
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment & a bias for action. You ship quality code quickly
- A product-first approach to building software. The manager cares about real-world functionality.
- Tech Skills: AWS, Docker, AWS RDS, AWS Kinesis, SQS, Java, Ruby on Rails, Buildkite, Github, React, GraphQL/Relay, Jest, Postgres, and Redis.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest, JUnit, or Cypress. On the backend, our services are written in Java with Spring Boot and Ruby on Rails. We have adopted gRPC for service API definition, and event-driven design based on AWS Kinesis Data Streams. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Elastic Container Service, and we are in the process of migrating to Kubernetes and Istio.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile
Flexport believes global trade can move the human race forward. Our mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. To achieve this, we’re building the “Operating System for Global trade” — a combination of modern, internet era technology & data analytics; logistics infrastructure; and supply chain expertise.
Flexport connects ~10k clients and suppliers across >100 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Founded in 2013, we've raised >$1.3B from SoftBank, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and YC. We’re excited to start seriously scaling up after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank’s Vision Fund early this year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.