Join our growing legal team
Flexport is experiencing massive growth with 1,000+ Flexporters across 14 global offices and warehouses. And we’re just getting started. We are growing out Legal and Compliance team in Asia. As our Legal Counsel, you will support our core business working daily with our local & global Operations, Sales, Business Development, Products, and Legal & Compliance teams to provide value-added legal advice. You will lead or support various projects with the goal of continuously mitigating legal risk. This is a great opportunity for someone with robust transportation law expertise looking to join a lean team and make a lasting impact.
- Proactively provide legal advice to the business on day-to-day operations related to ocean shipping, air, trucking, warehousing, and freight forwarding, etc.;
- Draft and review legal documents, such as MSAs with clients, SLAs with partners/agents, BSAs with airlines, and space or booking agreements with ocean carriers;
- Handle cargo claims, disputes, and litigations;
- Support the digital adoption of various shipment activities and deep dive on internal workflows to mitigate legal risks;
- Proactively review laws and legislation in Hong Kong, PRC and other countries in Asia, and ensure the Company’s policies and SOPs are in compliance with applicable laws & regulations;
- Support the Head of Legal & Compliance, Asia and work with the legal team on key projects and initiatives.
You should have:
- 4+ years as a shipping lawyer at law firms or inhouse counsel at shipping/freight forwarding companies;
- PRC or Hong Kong bar;
- Native Chinese speaker, and a strong command of English is essential;
- LLM/LLB/JD degree in Law (Maritime Law preferred);
- Robust knowledge about international trade & logistics;
- Passionate about staying on top of regulatory changes in the world of transportation/logistics, and ability to analyze those changes and make the necessary recommendations to the global team;
- Next-level attention to detail and follow-through;
- Excellent communication skills;
- An obsession with client happiness - you succeed when they succeed
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.