Create a foundation for world-class user experiences
Flexport is hiring an engineering manager to coach the engineers on our frontend infrastructure/design systems team (known internally as Theseus).
Theseus works at the crux of engineering and design, building a design system and other foundational web platform & infrastructure that empowers product teams to efficiently create world-class user experiences.
Below is a sampling things Theseus owns. We aspire to share outside our walls when possible, so check out the links to learn more:
- Latitude: Our design system. Not (yet) open source, but docs & examples are public
- Frontend third-party libraries: React, Webpack, Aphrodite, Relay, Jest, prettier, etc
- Internal frontend libraries: Formula One, a strongly-typed React forms library with great validation UX; reflective-bind, a babel transform that eliminates wasteful renders caused by inline functions, other stuff
- Frontend best practices, both those associated with third-party libraries, but also internal Flexport-specific guidelines. Enforced with static analysis where possible: Flow (>80% coverage), eslint.
- An app boilerplate thingy (kind of like an internal, Flexport-specific create-react-app)
- Overall internal frontend “MX” (maker experience). Think developer experience, then think of designers too!
- Platform-level frontend performance, product team performance budgets
- Frontend advice/consulting. Product teams turn to us for help with the hardest frontend problems.
- Ensuring Flexport’s migration from REST to GraphQL is set up for success
Flexport applications have a relatively homogenous frontend tech stack. This gives Theseus great leverage to deliver platform level improvements to everyone. Our impact makes investing in infra an obvious priority. For our part of the bargain, Theseus aspires to bring all existing applications forward with us, exploiting our versionless monorepo setup to frequently make codebase-wide improvements, and avoid leaving a trail of deprecations in our wake. This burden also grounds our new API decisions in product reality, helping to avoid ivory tower syndrome.
- Inspire amazing engineers to join the team (externally, but internally too!)
- Contribute to the team vision, and represent it to the rest of the company
- Proudly set a high bar for quality, and are a thoughtful, demanding, but pragmatic code reviewer
You should have:
- Passion for frontend, MX and growing fearsome engineers
- Bias for action, seek fast feedback loops and other benefits of velocity
- A few years of experience managing engineering teams
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we use React for the views, fetch data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re a Rails shop riding on AWS and Postgres RDS. Our staging server infrastructure is written in Python.
Engineering Culture & Values
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.