Who We Are:
MAKE LIFE EPIC
Founded in 1996, Firaxis Games is a world-renowned game development studio with an unwavering mission to “build games that stand the test of time”. The name Firaxis, a fusion of “fiery” and “axis,” communicates the company’s dynamic development process that results in the creation of ground breaking titles with unparalleled gameplay delivered to gamers around the globe. Under the creative direction of industry legend Sid Meier, Firaxis has released dozens of hit games on multiple platforms and is recognized as an industry leader in game development.
We are also a philanthropic studio and offer employees the chance to volunteer with local charities and nonprofits throughout the year. Fulltime employees can also take advantage of Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401K retirement savings, a wellbeing initiative with the opportunity to earn cash rewards, an Employee Assistance Program, and paid time off and paid holidays
What We Need:
Firaxis Games is looking for an exceptionally skilled Lead Environment Artist to join the team that created Marvel’s Midnight Suns. As a Lead Environment Artist, you will be working closely with the Project Art Director to create assets that match the look and feel of the game world. The ideal candidate must have leadership experience, a solid grasp of modeling and texturing both organic and hard surfaced assets, as well as an excellent working knowledge of the tools and skills listed below.
What You Will Do:
- Lead and direct a team of environment artists to create high-quality, performant environments, props, and levels that match the quality, style, and vision for the project.
- Inspire, mentor, and manage the members of the environment team to best utilize their strengths, shore up weaknesses, and grow new skills to keep the team running in peak form.
- Collaborate with Tech Art and engineering to establish pipelines for creating real time 3D assets for gameplay levels and research, suggest, and manage implementation of pipeline upgrades to improve efficiency and quality of asset creation.
- Document and communicate the processes, pipelines, tools, and techniques used to achieve the project goals so that they may be clearly communicated both internally and externally and ease the onboarding of new environment artists to the team.
- Collaborate closely with the narrative, design, engineering, and art direction teams to create beautiful and believable worlds without sacrificing performance, readability, and game play.
- Create high quality textured hard surface and organic 3D art that adhere to the project’s vision.
- Provide aesthetic and technical feedback and guidance to both internal and external artists to ensure all assets and environments meet or exceed the needs of the project.
Who Will Be A Great Fit:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in game development modeling and texturing environments using ZBrush, 3DS Max, Substance Painter, and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs).
- At least one shipped product as a Lead Environment Artist.
- Outstanding management and interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written.
- A solid understanding of form, color and lighting.
- Excellent organic and hard surfaced modeling skills with an exceptional understanding of form and silhouette.
- Strong texturing and painting skills including an understanding of physically based rendering materials.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and the ability to develop or optimize new or existing pipelines.
- Professional Unreal 4 or similar engine experience is a must.
- Expertise with Blender, Substance Designer, and Houdini are a major plus.
- Self-motivated, good communicator and a great team-player.
- A passion for making games.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to ensuring that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform their crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us if you need reasonable accommodation.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com accounts.