Join us and be an integral part of an innovative industry leading team who specializes in the designing and testing of electronic parts in radiation environments, providing quality engineering services and products to the DoD.
We are looking for an Electrical Engineer supporting radiation effects testing who will effectively manage the entire testing process from design to analysis and can be an active contributor to the team with complex testing as well as build relationships with facility operators and engineers to support the testing process.
YOU ARE CREATIVE. You take initiative to think up new ideas and solutions and implement them strategically and effectively. You are not afraid to step outside of your comfort zone and learn new techniques and thrive when there is uncertainty in the project, creating opportunity for development.
YOU ARE A TEAM PLAYER. You thrive working in team environments, sharing ideas and solutions while also effectively managing your time to meet various deadlines.
YOU ARE A SELF-STARTER. You enjoy wearing many hats while managing the testing process from start to finish. You always diligently meet deadlines and manage to budget a project accurately.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND TRAINING MAY INCLUDE:
In the first 30 days:
- Learns Fifth Gait’s services, processes and procedures, and facilities partnership & responsibilities
- Becomes familiar with the physics of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation environments and the effects on semiconductors through each phase of development
- Builds positive working relationships with the facility operators and engineers
- Asks insightful questions to gain knowledge and understanding about how to manage core job responsibilities
By 90-day mark:
- Has foundational knowledge of the design, construction, testing and analyzing process for radiation testing on electronic parts
- Has basic understanding of nuclear physics and the effects of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation on semiconductors
- Is familiar with the tools and instruments required for designing and constructing circuit boards, including, circuit design software, soldering station, microscope, power supplies, digital multimeters (DMM), oscilloscopes, and function generators
By 6th month mark:
- Executes the testing process from researching the electronic part to drafting test plans and reports to sharing data findings and analysis results from the testing
- Thoroughly understands the estimated life cycle for conducting an experiment from start to finish, from simple to more complex parts, with deadlines and budget in mind
By the 12th month mark and ongoing:
- Develops and manages 2-3 tests at a time through the entire life cycle of executed experiments, from design to analysis with minimal supervision, demonstrating the properties of electronic circuits in radiation environments
- Correlates the relationship between operational nuclear environments to the simulated radiation environments of the test facility
- Exhibits enthusiasm and drive when working on complex projects, working to find creative solutions for our clients, and developing new techniques and methods that are more efficient and provide better results
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related fields required
- Advanced degree is a plus
- 2+ years of related work experience in Circuit design, analysis and testing
- Programming experience with C/C++, C# and Python
- Working experience with micro controllers, FPGAs, embedded programming, and mixed signal design
- Applicants shall be U.S. citizens and shall comply with applicable program security requirements.
- Working experience with radiation test facilities and/or nuclear physics is a plus
- Experience with Hardware Description Languages (HDL) such as Verilog or VHDL a plus
- Experience with building an experimental apparatus that collects data in either academia or professional career a plus
- MUST be able to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance, either active or previously held is a plus
WHO WE ARE:
Fifth Gait Technologies, Inc., founded in 2007, is a minority woman-owned small business providing quality and timely engineering services and products to the DoD. Since its inception, the company has evolved its capabilities into becoming the leading provider of nuclear hardened designs which have the ability to not only survive but operate through challenging environments.
Fifth Gait scientists and engineers continue to develop radiation standards, software, tools, and unprecedented design technologies.