The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
The Sr. Data Engineer is responsible for the availability and reliability of the systems they support, as well as the development of solutions within those systems. The These can be Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) systems or systems custom developed in house. They will primarily be working on major projects and high-profile enhancements, as well as be responsible for reviewing the deliverables of other analysts on their team.
- Acts as technical subject matter expert for the curation, management, and visualization of data across the enterprise
- Supports technology stack supporting data management, including data warehousing, transport, visualization, master data management, and other tools
- Designs and provides oversight for development best practices for the data landscape at Enviva
- Defines and is responsible for the execution of maintenance activities supporting their technology stack
- Performs unit testing on software and/or system changes
- Keeps up to date with system documentation, knowledge base articles, and potential software updates and roadmaps.
- Works with a Business Analyst to translate business requirements into technical requirements
- Trains business analysts and end users on proper system functionality
- Keeps system documentation up to date as necessary
- Participates in team agile ceremonies
- Maintains, enforces, and follows ITGC and SDLC standards, as they relate to systems analysis activities
- Minimum Years of Experience
- 7+ Years of Experience
- Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in IS, CS, or Data Science required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Specialized knowledge or Industry Experience
- Agile Full lifecycle software development
- Expert knowledge and experience in Big data and Cloud technologies – Azure Databricks (Spark), Azure Synapse, Azure Data Factory, Snowflake, Hadoop, and Hive
- Proficiency in extracting data from various Relational databases, data files (Structured & Semi Structured), and Salesforce using Azure Databricks, SSIS , Procedures (Oracle PL/SQL, and T-SQL)
- Experience CI/CD building pipelines using Azure DevOps , and Github
- Expert knowledge in creating reports and dashboards using Power BI and Oracle Business Intelligence
- Expertise in writing PL/SQL, T-SQL Queries, Dynamic-queries, sub-queries, Stored Procedures, Views and Cursors, CTE, temp tables, Advanced Analytical functions
- Experience using Waterfall and Agile methodologies
- Expert knowledge in tuning SQL queries, ETL process for optimal performance
- Ability to work in challenging environment and strong interpersonal, organizational, communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt new technologies and ability to work in-groups as well as independently with minimum supervision
- Strong competency with database application design, SQL, SQLDB design/development including stored procedures, T-SQL, SAS, understanding of data structures and experience with MS SSIS, MS SSRS, ETL processes and working with large data sets.
- Working knowledge of modeling tools (e.g., ERWIN Model Manager, IBM Rational Suite, Rational (RSA & RDA) Informatica, etc.)
- Strong access modeling/SQL Query skills leaning towards the physical data modeling practice.
- PowerBI implementation and management experience strongly preferred
- Hands-on technical experience using data warehouse, business intelligence and analytics products
- Experience of working in critical production environments that rely heavily on data processes is a must.
- Assist in owning existing processes running in production, optimizing complex code through advanced algorithmic concepts.
- Optimize pipelines, dashboards, frameworks, and systems to facilitate easier development of data artifacts.
- Communication Skills
- Very strong written and oral communication skills required. Comfort and skill presenting technical material to a non-technical audience strongly preferred
- Computer Literacy
- Strong computer skills, including O365, DevOps, as well as deep knowledge for the systems they will support.
- Working knowledge of solutions for various deployment models (Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a service (PaaS), (SaaS) and emerging cloud services to optimize the essential characteristics of cloud computing.
- Professional Certification
- Other characteristics
- Other characteristics such as attributes and behavioral characteristics that fit within Enviva’s mission and OEMS culture.
Preferred Qualifications - What Will Set You Apart
- An inquisitive attitude with excellent problem-solving skills
- A passion for continuous learning
- Solve our most challenging data integration problems, utilizing optimal ETL patterns, frameworks, query techniques, sourcing from structured and unstructured data sources.
- A can-do attitude that leans into issues in order to solve them
- The ability to lead through influence and relate to different personality styles
- The ability to explain and advocate for new technologies to management
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.