Educate!, an award winning non-profit social enterprise is looking for self-driven, highly enterprising and enthusiastic candidates to fill the Youth Leader Positions (6) in Uganda. Successful candidates will join our high performing Virtual Innovation Programs (VIP) Team.
Educate! prides in creating impact and spreading this impact to thousands of more youth across the Country. The Youth Leaders will be at the heart of supporting the mobilization of ambitious youths, recruit and support a team of mentors that will be delivering the skills based course & mentorship to the youths, support in Monitoring, Evaluation & database; and field logistics management.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with youth, schools, and governments to design and deliver solutions that equip young people in Africa with the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs, and drive development in their communities. Our goal is to design skills-based education and employment solutions which impact youth life outcomes sustainably and at scale.
In 2019, we partnered with the governments of Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya and measurably impacted over 46,000 youth in and out of schools while reaching 470,000 learners more broadly, making us the biggest youth skills providers in East Africa. Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve pivoted to create and deploy a distance learning model based on our proven in-school experience, and reached over 100,000 students by October 2020. Read here to learn more about Educate!’s distance learning model.
Two rigorous external evaluations of our flagship in-school model, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, participants of our program earn nearly double the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, youth achieve strong and lasting shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes, especially young women. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Daniel who opened a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
Educate! supports governments with integrating skills-based curriculum nationally. This includes partnering with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a Student Business Club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally and serving as a technical advisor to both Rwanda and Kenya on national education reforms.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise with over 160 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions and by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
Mentor ‘Cheer’ Coaching - 35%
Goal: Mentor team is guided on process & procedures and highly motivated for the role. Mentors understand & use policies and are proactive in their roles.
- Walk mentors through contracts, policies, systems
- Follow-up on big group communications to understand issues or areas of confusion & act accordingly
- Encourage and coach mentors during or after observations in order to learn about the Learning & Development needs that we will address through refreshers and induction.
- Build training capacity of mentors through mock sessions and feedback for new and continuing mentors as needed. Use induction training report/rubric to know/identify mentors who need this support
- Lead team celebrations using existing forums like peer circles
- Direct mentors to right ecosystem component/forum to receive support than solve it all role
- Represent E! at functions as is assigned/delegated.
Goal: Community Unit (CU) mentor availability number needs are tracked, filled to capacity including backup list. Recruitment adheres to the recruitment guidelines while keeping timelines & documentation.
- Implement recruiting strategy to inform candidates for recruitment as per the mentor role profile.
- Source for motivated mentor candidates & hold interviews.
- Submit required paperwork
- Manage to recruited timelines
- Keep CU to capacity including backup options at hand
- Manage mentor exit smoothly using guided procedures as stipulated in the mentor and Youth leader handbook.
- Keep HR & program team updates with regional & CU dynamics that best suit recruitment needs.
School Relationship Support
Goal: Educate Partners are informed & understand current strategy and programming reports and needs. School feedback is tracked and documented well to inform future decision making. Mentors introduced to schools and communities.
- Make timely communications to school administration in a professional manner.
- Provide Headteacher communications feedback , documented and follow-up to ensure closing of the gaps.
- Provide updates to schools using different forums like WhatsApp, calls including reports & success stories.
- Introduce mentors to schools.
Monitoring, Evaluation & VIP Database Support
Goal: Mentors supported to understand & observe program reporting procedures with minimal errors. Each mentor observed at least once per boo camp. Student database is kept updated
- Optimally collect updated student contacts from schools & submit them to the database system.
- Ensure that mentors have necessary information to update contacts/VIP database
- Support mentors’ in H2H Calls distribution & verification/signup of VIPs contacts and follow up.
- Use VIP tracker to support retention & drop management while reconciling with monitoring system . Use this information to inform coaching & support with procedures and strategies in the mentor handbook & peer circle guide including one on ones.
Implementation Monitoring Support
- Model & Maintain high data management integrity when handling data requests virtually especially. from virtual monitoring forms
- Collaborate with M*E during & after the bootcamp on any data collection efforts
- Monitor/ observe at least 4-6 mentors & forms submitted per YL in a week as applicable using bootcamp observation
- Review VIP tracker photo from each mentor once a week
- Help mentors navigate the policies and reporting procedures
- Diploma in Education or related course, with at least 1 year of teaching experience
- Basic computer literacy and experience: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Email, google drive etc
- Engaging and interactive trainer with passion for coaching team members, with experience in training and capacity building.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
What skills/experience does this candidate absolutely must have (MUST HAVEs)?
- People Relations skills
- Attention to detail
- Personal organization and Coordination skills
- Good written & verbal communication skills
- Problem solving
- Ability to use the google drive (docs, sheets, slides and forms)
- High level of integrity
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Attractive Benefits & Perks including Medical Insurance.
- Locations: Candidates should be residents of any of the following districts: Kampala, Wakiso, Tororo, Mbale, Mbabara, Nebbi, Kamuli, Iganga, Kitgum, Kole/Oyam and Arua.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First
- We Are Always Learning
- We Only Solve a Problem Once
- We Are Flexible
- We Exceed Expectations
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.