Educate!, a fast-growing and award-winning social enterprise, is seeking a Director of Program Implementation for Out-of-School Youth to launch an innovative new product for out-of-school youth in Uganda. In our first ten years, Educate! became the biggest youth skills provider in East Africa by scaling our proven in-school model to impact hundreds of thousands of youth in Uganda and Rwanda. In 2021, our top priority across the organization is testing a bootcamp model for out-of-school youth, beginning in Uganda. We already have evidence that this type of model can lead to better life outcomes for youth and are looking for the right person to lead development and execution of a strategy to test and eventually scale this model.
In this role, you’ll lead a team to plan, test, launch, and manage programs for out-of-school youth in Uganda, driving towards Educate!’s long-term vision of designing solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa every year. The ideal candidate will have strong experience managing a program at an early stage and successfully implementing initiatives that have achieved measurable results. This opportunity has all the challenges and excitement of a startup, with the benefits of building off a proven model at an organization with a strong reputation and track record
You are the right fit for this role if you;
- Are a strategic thinker who can move deftly from vision to execution—perceiving emerging opportunities, building a goal-oriented strategy, aligning internal and external stakeholders around a shared vision, and driving implementation.
- Have significant program management experience that enables you to immediately bring considerable strategic value to a project. Experience in managing a program at an early stage is preferred. Experience in leading innovation within an organization is also preferred.
- Ability to guide others through major changes, encourage teamwork, develop team capabilities and motivate contributors to meet deadlines.
- Professional and interpersonal skills with the energy, vision and drive to succeed in a fast paced, high performance culture.
- Strong analytical skills to identify business opportunities
- Demonstrated financial acumen, good understanding of budgeting and experience drafting proposals.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with youth, schools, and governments to design and deliver solutions that equip young people in Africa with the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs, and drive development in their communities. Our goal is to design skills-based education and employment solutions which impact youth life outcomes sustainably and at scale.
In 2019, we partnered with the governments of Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya and measurably impacted over 46,000 youth in and out of schools while reaching 470,000 learners more broadly, making us the biggest youth skills providers in East Africa. Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve pivoted to create and deploy a distance learning model based on our proven in-school experience, and reached over 100,000 students by October 2020. Read here to learn more about Educate!’s distance learning model.
Two rigorous external evaluations of our flagship in-school model, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, participants of our program earn nearly double the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, youth achieve strong and lasting shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes, especially young women. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Daniel who opened a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
Educate! supports governments with integrating skills-based curriculum nationally. This includes partnering with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a Student Business Club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally and serving as a technical advisor to both Rwanda and Kenya on national education reforms.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise with over 160 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions and by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
Implementation Strategy (40%)
Serve as a thought partner to the Director of Program Strategy in shaping the initiative’s vision and trajectory, and lead the effort to operationalize that vision.
- Create a strategy to recruit thousands of Out of School Youth
- Deliver a high-impact Out of School Youth Program
- Manages the team’s capacity to research, respond to, and execute on new opportunities
Team Leadership (25%)
The OOSY Strategist is accountable for leading a cross-functional team to advance the Uganda Out of School Youth program, including maintaining a high level of communication and collaboration across the unit’s staff.
- Manage the team to achieve program objectives
- Establish and maintain a strong, positive and engaged team culture
- Maintain oversight of work allocation and capacity
- Conduct and participate in hiring processes as needed
- Serve as a coach and mentor to staff empowering the team to achieve exceptional results
Learning & Impact (20%)
- Provide leadership on product development (research, prototyping, development, iteration and piloting) and experiments.
- Coordinate the team to learn quickly and maximize data usage for informed decision-making.
Budget & Proposals (15%)
- Oversight of program finance and administration activities including creation of budgets and drafting of funding proposals.
- Provide support for grant-writing when needed, and lead interactions with local partners.
- Align program strategies with available funding opportunities to expand organizational impact.
- Preferred Experience: Experience in youth development programs, proposal writing and managing a program at an early stage.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of work experience
- A good fit with our Five Cultural Tenets (see “What is Educate! About?” Below; learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- We've grown 20x since 2013 and are maintaining quality as we scale.
- We prioritize local and female leadership: 97% of our team on the ground is African, 3/4 of our top positions are held by women, and 9 of 16 of our global leaders are East African. Five Acumen Fund Fellows and three Young African Leaders Initiative Fellows have come out of our team, and ten organizations have been started by former staff.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda–Educate!'s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate! is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically investigating hundreds of assumptions, and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of UNICEF, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create their own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.