Stores & Logistics Assistant
We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail oriented, organised individual with great interpersonal skills to fill a position in the Administration Department. The Stores & Logistics Assistant is an early career position with major potential for growth and learning. In this role, you shall support in stores management, procurement support, coordinating servicing and maintenance of office equipment and distribution of materials including shipping. You’ll join a motivated, passionate, overachieving team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact one million youth each year by 2024.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students across Africa each year.
- Stores Management - 30%
- Receiving and dispatching supplies as per departmental needs
- Quarterly store checks and updating of new stock in the Stockcards/ bin cards accordingly
- Generate monthly stores report and make updates as per entry of new stock
- Create a functional stores inventory and ensure proper maintenance of stock and supplies
- Maintain a clean and organised store and ensure stored items are well catalogued and labelled
- Procurement Support - 30%
- Provide support to the procurement officer in the successful execution of the procurement function
- Supplier follow up in liaison with the procurement officer
- Quality checks & verifications on received items before adding to store
- Counting & batching and batching materials to be shipped to the field
- Support in packing materials and ensuring supplies are received by the users in time
- Office Equipment Servicing & Maintenance Support - 20%
- Provide support to the administrative coordinator in maintenance of office equipment
- Liaison point between service providers and the users
- Execution of contractual agreements for service and maintenance of office equipment and other office machines including official mobile phones, photocopier and computers.
- Ensure service and maintenance records for all equipment are up to date and well maintained
- Shipping - 20%
- Track and monitor incoming and outgoing shipments to the different field locations
- Liaise with YLs to ensure timely and proper distribution of materials to the field
- Organise transportation for shipment of termly field materials and ensure all materials shipping costs are done within budget
- Work with procurement officer to ensure standardised transportation plans are made for field shipments
- Diploma in Stores Management, or Logistics & Supply Chain Management or in any other related field.
- Experience of at least one year working in a fast paced environment.
- Hands on experience in purchases, supply management and stores management.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Benefits include Medical Insurance
- Location is Kampala, Uganda
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
Intrigued? Please apply. You will be asked to upload a resume, and your response to the following questions: (and list questions)
Deadline for sending applications is Friday 4th January 2019
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.