Positions Report to: Chief People Officer
Start/End Date: Immediate
Compensation: EHTP offers a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Exempt
Who We Are
East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for traditional public school students and a network of public charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. We are on track to serve at least 25% of East Harlem students by 2025, with enrollment for this year at approximately 2200 students in our schools and after school programs. In 2020, 99% of our seniors were accepted to college, and our current scholars in college are on-track to graduate at eight times the national average of their peers.
At EHTP we also aim to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. As staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. Read our racial equity statement here.
We ground all of our work in racial equity, in our core values, and in our four guiding pursuits: the Revolutionary Pursuit of Love, the Radical Pursuit of Knowledge, the Responsive Pursuit of Healing, and in the Relentless Pursuit of Results. These pursuits inform and are reflected in our current four key strategic priorities: to increase high-impact, high-quality academic curriculum, programming content, staff capacity, and coaching; to embrace and advance our use of technology; to deepen our embodiment of ethical and equitable radical humanity; and to efficiently operationalize teaching, learning, community, and care.
About The Opportunity
We are seeking a Senior Director, Human Resources (HR) to shape and oversee the implementation of effective HR policies and practices to ensure alignment with our mission and commitment to anti-racism. The Senior Director, HR will develop research-based, strategic priorities and goals that will guide the Human Resources team in supporting staff across the entire EHTP network. The Senior Director, HR will proactively forecast trends and tools for EHTP’s planned dynamic growth over the next five years.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer (CPO), the Senior Director, HR manages a team of three and oversees the employee experience for over 300 staff members. In partnership with the CPO, the Senior Director, HR will present data analysis and findings to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Superintendent/Chief Academic Officer, to inform human resource decisions, employee experience, compensation and benefits, and organizational culture. The Senior Director, HR will review our HR policies and identify opportunities that will support the organization in creating a working environment that is radically human.
What Qualifies You
- You have a minimum of 8 years of professional work experience in Human Resources and have high-level knowledge of benefits, compensation, compliance, and employee relations and advocacy
- You are successful in designing and implementing processes, systems, protocols and policies that support organizational growth
- You understand the power of relationship building and collaboration across teams to move the work forward
- You navigate with integrity maintaining trust and holding teams accountable to a code of ethics
- You are a powerful listener, radically empathetic coach, and understand the balance of organizational policies and employee needs
- You bring a track record of supporting team members' learning, development, and career growth and building team cultures aligned to organizational core values
- You are entrepreneurial, flexible, creative, and resourceful, with the ability to deliver results in a rapidly growing, deadline-driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment
- You believe deeply in EHTP’s mission, core values, and racial equity statement, and educational model
Areas of Leadership
HR Leadership and Strategy
- Work with the CEO and Chief People Officer to develop and implement phased, multi-year strategy, reflecting organizational capacity and growth over the next 3 years
- Report data trends and forecasting on compensation, benefits, and employee engagement and satisfaction to the CEO and executive team as well as manage relationships across the senior management team
- Provide data analysis and findings to the Chief Executive Officer and Superintendent/Chief Academic Officer, to inform human resource decisions, compensation and benefit plans, and organizational culture
- Partner with the senior management team and Managing Director, Talent team to define the employee value proposition and employee experience
Onboarding, Offboarding, + Employee Compensation
- Establish an onboarding and orientation program (virtual + in-person) for new hires that clearly outlines each step of the onboarding process including reporting, responsibilities, deliverables, and deadlines; and a high-quality, radically-human offboarding process
- Manage the compensation process and work with senior managers to implement compensation protocols around new hire salary, title structures, promotion pathways, and annual increases and incentives
- Review EHTP’s salary scales, benefits programs, and employee handbook on an annual basis and make recommendations in order to remain competitive and attract new talent while retaining current employees
Team Coaching + Management
- Support senior managers and hiring managers with forecasting, understanding, and addressing employee grievances and concerns in alignment with our strategic priorities, guiding pursuits, and commitment to antiracism
- Lead and implement the continuing internal professional development and external learning for the human resources team members
- Build a team culture that is aligned to organizational core values and guiding pursuits and fosters a high standard of excellence, accountability, and equity
Thank you for taking the time to submit an application.