Positions Report to: Instructional Leadership Team
Start/End Date: 2022 - 2023 School Year
Hours: 7:40 am – 4:15 pm + some out of school time responsibilities
Compensation: Please note that this is a general range. Salaries are determined based on credentials and years of experience. East Harlem Scholars Academies also offers a comprehensive benefits package.
- Masters: $68,735 - $120,619
- PhD/DSW: $75,986 - $130,109
FLSA Status: Exempt
Who We Are
Scholars Academies is a branch of the East Harlem Tutorial Program. East Harlem Tutorial Program began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for public school students and a charter school operator focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. Between its after-school programs and charter schools, more than 15,000 East Harlem youth and their families have walked through its doors – and, by participating in EHTP's year-long, free programs, they have improved their academic skills, developed confidence, and found community.
For more information about EHTP's mission, model, and programs, please visit us at www.ehtp.org.
What Sets Us Apart
EHTP aims to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. Furthermore, as staff members we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. To read EHTP’s Racial Equity Statement, please click here.
The Work and Why it Matters
The role of the School Social Worker is to develop, coordinate, and deliver a range of youth and family centered interventions for students and families in a developmentally, socially, and culturally appropriate manner. The ultimate goal is to lead the school’s efforts to provide support students need to succeed academically, socially, and emotionally to support the school’s mission and vision. The School Social Worker will collaborate with students, parents, and members of the school staff and will be supervised and provided with weekly clinical supervision.
Who You Are
- You hold yourself to high professional and ethical standards.
- You enjoy and/or have experience working with diverse populations of students and communities
- You believe that every student can and will learn when provided with a quality education
- You have demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally at-risk students
- You are willing to be flexible in your role and adapt to school and student needs
- You are committed to continuous improvement and learning through professional development
- You have strong clinical skills and experience providing crisis intervention and short-term treatment to children and their families
- You have a minimum of two-year’s experience in relevant educational positions
- You have a Master’s Degree, or higher, and appropriate LMSW certification
- Strongly Preferred: Proficient in Spanish and experience as a school Social Worker providing counseling
What Success Looks Like
- Clinical Direct Practice
- Implement a proactive counseling program by conducting individual and group counseling (both IEP and non-mandated sessions) that support the academic and behavioral philosophies of East Harlem Scholars Academy II
- Provide crisis intervention, when needed, to ensure the safety of all students
- Conduct bio-psycho-social intakes and preliminary assessments and when appropriate, make referrals for psychological and psychiatric evaluations
- Use evidence-based practices to effectively develop short-term and long-term treatment and intervention plans for students.
- Provide counseling and support for families
- Academic and Behavioral Support
- Support students, families and faculty, when appropriate, in the creation, coordination and implementation of written behavioral intervention plans
- Serve as a member of the special education team by attending IEP meetings and progress monitor counseling goals
- School Support
- Work closely with the Director of School Culture & Family Engagement to create and maintain a culture of excellence for all students.
- Contribute to school and staff morale by organizing school-wide events
- Maintain close collaborative relationships with teachers and staff in order to provide feedback and psycho-education on how to work with all students’ needs
- Lead school workshops for students and families in order to support social and emotional development and proactively address issues
- Engagement and Support
- Work with the administration team to build positive relationships with families and engage them in their students’ education.
- Cultivate new relationships with community partners and collaborate with existing partnerships in order to help support the school, students, and their families
For the safety of our students and staff, East Harlem Tutorial Program requires all staff members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We do allow for medical and religious exemptions that adhere to our policy and CDC guidelines. If you have any questions and would like further information, please reach out to HR@ehtp.org.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to apply to East Harlem Tutorial Program.