Dovetail's mission is to enable the world to create better products and services through deep customer understanding. We empower 45,000+ people, from agencies to universities to Fortune 100 companies, to make sense of their customer research in one collaborative and powerful research platform.
With so many exciting projects coming up at Dovetail, we’re looking for visual designers to expand our Creative Studio.
The Creative Studio
Dovetail is a platform for teams to make better decisions by deeply understanding their customers.
You might not expect a startup of Dovetail’s size to have a Creative Studio, but we do things differently here. Design is at the core of everything we do. Our vision is for the Creative Studio to be the creative nucleus for all things at Dovetail, operating as an internal ‘agency’, made up of designers, illustrators, producers, writers, animators, engineers, thinkers, and makers.
Collaborating with folks all over the company, the studio executes on creative projects big, small, and first of their kind at Dovetail. The studio’s primary goal is to expand and evolve our house of brands to resonate with our growing audience, while still maintaining the character and weirdness that makes us unique. This ain’t no corporate gig – we celebrate getting kooky and pushing ourselves creatively.
The studio has the creative freedom and autonomy to explore different styles, mediums, techniques, and ultimately conceive and create distinctive and unforgettable work. Work that doesn't just look good, but makes you feel something too. Initiative always counts, and great ideas will be heard, even if they push the boundaries of what a traditional brand team would do.
Why do all of this in-house?
- The Creative Studio works closely with internal stakeholders, leading to more and better ideas, and a fast feedback loop.
- We move fast. Our products are always evolving, and as a result our brand needs to continuously evolve. We want a team who is able to build and maintain context overtime.
- Good design and visual communication is important to Dovetail, (we have a designer CEO, and design is represented in company leadership). We have a high bar, and we believe we can achieve excellence with our talented team in-house.
We’re inspired by the creative teams at software companies like Figma, Shopify, Intercom, Notion, and Dropbox.
- Execute on a variety of creative projects. Our Creative Studio works with stakeholders across the business to drive the visual identity of our product, publication, and employer brands through a variety of creative projects. Some examples include, creating visuals to accompany written, video, and audio content, branded experiences for in-person and virtual events, and our office experience (think murals, signage, neon lights, etc), swag, external presentations and branded documentation, and more!
- Work closely with our Creative Studio, and stakeholders across the business. We’re big on collaboration. You’ll work with other designers, illustrators, creative engineers, and our Creative Director, as well as stakeholders from our marketing, product, talent, and operations teams. You’ll contribute ideas and voice your opinions in workshops and collaborative sessions to help drive towards an outcome.
- Be an internal brand advocate. As the team grows, we need to build and maintain brand guidelines and design systems, and help others in the business create campaigns that align with our brands. This includes company and product logos, typography, icons, illustrations, product assets for our websites, presentation and social media templates, and more.
- Background in graphic design or similar. Bonus points for skills in photography, videography, animation, and web design.
- An extremely high attention to detail. One of our values is ‘if we do it, we nail it.’ You have a high-quality bar and strive to maintain an excellent, pixel-perfect level of detail and consistency across all brand and marketing activities.
- Practical design tool skills. You’re familiar with digital tools like Figma, Sketch, and Adobe Creative Suite. Bonus points for an understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Experience collaborating with others. You have a proven ability to communicate and influence creative decisions while welcoming cross-functional collaboration. You can smoothly manage incoming requests and feedback from the business and prioritize.
- Excellent communication. Skillful, concise communication so you can easily communicate visual concepts and rationalize your decisions. Be able to convey your opinions to the team, including founders (one of them is a designer!).
At Dovetail, we’re passionate about building and fostering an environment where every team member feels supported and valued. We celebrate individualism, welcoming everyone to show up as their authentic selves every day. It’s no secret that diversity builds the best teams, large or small, so we highly encourage applications from people who identify as part of an under-represented group. Please take a peek at Dovetail’s commitment to Program 50/50 and hear why we’re officially a Great Place to Work on our for more info!
- Competitive base salary plus equity. Even though we’re a small startup, we offer competitive salaries and great equity.
- KitKat days. We understand the importance of mental health and wellbeing. These are extra paid days holiday for the whole company where everyone can take a break.
- Generous equal parental leave. We offer 12 weeks equal parental leave.
- Floating public holiday leave. You can choose to work public holidays and use that day another time in the year.
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance, especially right now. While we have an office-first culture, you're still able to work from home when it suits you.
- Personal learning and development budget. We’re a big fan of personal development, and prefer to home-grow leaders rather than filling leadership / management externally.
- A brand new architecturally designed office in Surry Hills. With free snacks, beer on tap and drinks, three different coffee machines, social areas, and a rooftop.
- TGIF events. Monthly company wide activities on Fridays for the whole team.
- Salary sacrifice. We have a salary sacrifice policy for work related items.
- Ergonomic office. Sit-stand desks, 4k 27” monitor, ergonomic chairs, quiet spaces, and collaboration spaces, to suit all kinds of working styles.
- Pet friendly office! We love dogs and often have dogs in the office.
- Personal development. Regular lunch and learn events, opportunities for presenting at webinars and conferences, and networking through our investor community.
- Annual company retreats. We try to go away every year!