Account Director, Media Relations
A hungry, collaborative, strategic media relations professional who wants to make a difference on the accounts you work on and the agency you join. You have an outlook that is:
- Team oriented “we” over “I”
- Positive and inspirational
- Energized and charismatic
- Humble and inquisitive
- Agile and adaptable
A fast-growing, small agency with big reach. We have a simple but powerful belief: every patient, disease and therapy is different – therefore every message, stakeholder, and challenge needs to be approached in a unique way. We are made up of:
- Digital natives
- PhD-level scientists
About the role
We are looking for a dynamic media relations expert eager to jump right in and help develop earned strategies that translate into coverage for a variety of healthcare clients. In this unique role, you’ll have the opportunity to partner with the head of media relations at dna, as we build out a best-in-class media team. You’ll have the chance to shape the practice and provide media POV to the agency and its clients. If you are looking to collaborate and build something, this role is for you. We are looking for a candidate that possesses a strong background in healthcare media and understands news cycles, cultural shifts, industry trends and issues that directly and indirectly affect the client. This person will work closely with a cross-functional team of people across the broader IPG network and will be someone that is curious and excited to explore new ideas, is proactive, resourceful and has an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Collaborate to develop integrated media programs that are strategically sound and based on insights
- Assist in managing product launches, celebrity campaigns, milestone announcements, media events, participate in desk-side briefings, etc.
- Provide proactive media counsel to account teams and clients, alerting them of changes in media environment
- Partner with head of dna media, to identify best practices and solutions to continue to build a best-in-class media team
- Lead or co-lead story mining sessions with subject matter experts and clients
- Generate story ideas and topic angles, draft media materials, and pitch media to land earned coverage
- Provide media strategy to new business proposals and at clients’ requests
- Professional and poised, calm under pressure, motivational
- Collaborate with diverse teams to deliver campaign elements across platforms and channels
- Ability to write ideas in a simple impactful way and tell strong compelling stories
- Actively and consistently coach junior media colleagues identify opportunities and talent to help further build out the media relations practice at dna
- Participate in office-wide initiatives, seminars and meetings to further professional learning and development
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- About 7 years of experience as a media relations expert
- Possesses the Healthcare subject matter expertise needed to assess a client request, counsel on approach, identify opportunities and potential issues
- Must have strong contacts and working relationships with local and national news media
- Provides strategic media counsel, laser-focused on delivering the right integrated solution for the business challenge
- Must have exceptional communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- The courage to push forward brave ideas
- Strong deck writing, dynamic presentation skills and knowledge of how to sell a great idea to a client or team
- Capability to multi-task efficiently
- Capacity and willingness to stretch up and down
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and always focus on problem solving
dna – the details (this is the section where we humble brag)
dna has won two Cannes Bronze Lions awards in the past two year and 15 awards for creative execution in the past year, including a Global Sabre as one of the best 5 campaigns executed worldwide. It’s not by accident. We have a Creativity team focused on finding a spark for all that we do, from ideation sessions to weekly creative power hours. And we host an annual Creativity Day centered around an off-site activity, like a trip to the museum or an improv class, all designed to excite an inspire.
dna prides itself on delivering a difference making employee experience. We invest in our team and put culture front and center through a variety of programs, policies and events. It’s all about growth and opportunity. If you are looking for a company where you will have the chance to contribute, grow and set a career path that meets your interests and delivers on your ambitions, dna is an ideal employer.
We are small meets big – giving our clients and employees the benefits of both. As a global agency, we have staff in 10 markets on four continents. Yet, our close-knit agency environment will ensure that you will have ample opportunity for visibility with senior management who will make a personal investment in your career. And, as part of a large global IPG network with seamless integration with our sister agencies, such as Weber Shandwick and large advertising agencies, you’ll have access to world class resources and endless exposure to the most cutting-edge marketing approaches. If you are ambitious, energetic and excited to have a voice in shaping an agency and the future of healthcare communications, we hope you’ll join us. We’re an agency whose fast pace of growth and influence, is matched only by the advancement opportunities we offer our employees. dna – As Different as you.
The legal info
Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to start date, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
dna is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. dna recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
The Weber Shandwick Collective recognizes that your health and wellbeing are a priority. This is why we offer a full suite of benefits including:
- 401k (with employer match)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Juice Money - $60 monthly reimbursement to be used towards purchases that nourish your health, mind, body, and soul
- MyDays – Flexible holiday schedules
- Short-Term Disability
- Paid Employee Family Leave
- Family Building Benefit
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.