ABOUT THE ROLE:
DIG is looking for a Head of Construction to serve as the lead in planning, executing, and monitoring real estate and development projects for our Food Group. Real Estate and Development is a key part of DIG's growth plan and we’re looking for someone who is eager and excited to help us scale and improve our restaurant footprint across multiple markets. This role will oversee restaurant openings, both new openings and re-openings, renovation projects, and special asset projects, acting as a bridge between operations, design, and restaurant leaders. As a lead role, you have experience gauging feasibility, planning and budgeting, managing design, purchasing and procurement, negotiating bids and contracts, and executing projects. This position is on the Real Estate and Development Team and reports to the VP of Development.
- Lead daily project management activities through all levels of store development. [Design, permitting, construction and restaurant turn-over.]
- Review Real Estate locations and perform initial feasibility of proposed restaurant locations, including coordinated feedback to assist in active Real Estate negotiations.
- Properly scope, schedule and budget proposed projects for key stakeholder review.
- Assist during the design phase of the project to guarantee alignment with brand vision, timeline and budget.
- Assist development external resources, A&E and additional vendors through plan development.
- Review restaurant construction documents for brand compliance. Including key internal cross functional department review and alignment.
- Lead all project approvals including LL review and local municipal permitting via permit expediter.
- Manage project procurement and purchasing of all FF&E, KES, signage, etc.
- Lead project bid, negotiation, and contract process.
- Manage project meetings to maintain scope, schedule and budget integrity.
- Be responsible for restaurant and project closeout including managing project punch and turn-over to operations in addition to coordinating post construction warranty.
- A BS in engineering or CM preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role.
- Experience in managing multiple projects at one time.
- The ability to communicate effectively, with integrity to key stakeholders and all project vendors.
- Insane organization skills – you have lists, systems, and processes to keep everything running smoothly.
- A strong ability to work at a strategic level, but you’re equally as happy getting your hands dirty.
- A knack for the details and a desire for growth. You are self-motivated and disciplined in all things.
- A keen eye for prioritization and workflow – you persevere through challenges and maintain composure under high-pressure.
- A strong team-player mindset- you work collaboratively across many teams.
- An entrepreneurial spirit - you don’t mind rolling up your sleeves and getting scrappy.
WORK PERKS: Aside from your the standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Company laptop
- Flexible vacation time
- Phone reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Complimentary DIG lunch everyday
At Dig Food Group, we’re building a better food system for everyone by sourcing, cooking and serving delicious food everyday. Nine years in, we’ve grown to more than 30 fast-casual Dig restaurants, opened our first full-service restaurant, 232 Bleecker, partnered with 130 farms including our own Dig Acres, and taught thousands of people how to cook (really cook) in our kitchens.
To do this, we’ve built direct and real relationships with farmers. We don’t just name check them on our menus -- we’re true partners in their businesses. We focus on farmers who are independent, first-timers, women, immigrants, LGBTQ and people of color. These relationships allow us to get the best ingredients all year round and change our menu based on what is growing in the fields.
Each restaurant is run by a chef and all our food is cooked on site. There are no microwaves, can openers or freezers, just an entire culinary team at every location, cooking vegetables all day. This requires training a whole generation of chefs and cooks from the ground up, including many who have never worked in a restaurant before. Knife skills are life skills.
We’re not here to disrupt anything or become a platform. We run our business on good food and great people. From sourcing to serving, our mission is to create a better food system for everyone. That means a world where farmers can make a living growing food, anyone can learn to cook, and we can all eat well, together.
DIG believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply