About the role:
At Dig Inn, we are on a mission to rebuild the food system. The Director of Culinary Innovation will play a critical role in creating, implementing, and leading new Dig Inn concepts and operating models in 2019 and beyond to push this mission forward. We’re looking for an exceptional culinarian who can ideate and bring new concepts to life while effectively inspiring, mentoring, and leading the next generation of chefs within Dig Inn and the food industry as a whole.
This role will work cross functionally with the Marketing Team, Supply Team, and the Director of Culinary Operations, to translate their ideas into practical operational applications. The Director of Culinary Innovation will report to the Chief Culinary Officer.
- Be responsible for understanding i) current and emerging culinary trends and ii) our consumer needs and behaviors.
- Manage and oversee new concept projects by coordinating timelines, facilitating meetings, and holding stakeholders accountable.
- Drive culinary excellence by being a champion for food quality and creating a positive and passionate work environment.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team with new launches, promotions, branding, messaging, and labeling of concepts and products.
- Help create and validate a framework for developing and piloting new operating models and concepts.
- Coordinate and manage culinary partnerships to develop beverage, dessert and other CPG items.
- Work with our restaurant teams to develop new menu items; creating, testing, and refining recipes.
- Leverage your culinary skills knowledge to drive new menu ideas acting as equal parts teacher and mentor for our restaurant chefs.
- Organize, manage, and conduct product and menu tastings for internal and external parties.
- Collaborate with the Supply team to drive and improve the quality of our products without sacrificing our mission and vision.
- Drive financial results by providing development options that differentiate Dig Inn from others in the marketplace.
- 6+ years of related work experience with at least three years in a leadership position. Multi-unit restaurant experience preferred.
- Strong leadership, managerial, and organizational skills. You have experience developing and managing teams of culinary and non-culinary professionals to achieve results.
- A high degree of credibility in the food industry and the ability to work with all levels of management and leadership.
- Influence in the restaurant and hospitality industry and can leverage your network as a Dig Inn resource.
- Extensive kitchen operations, business, and culinary knowledge.
- Proven track record leading culinary/product innovation, menu development, and new operating models.
- The ability to inspire and motivate those around you, across all levels of management.
- Strong problem solving skills - you can analyze, interpret, and take appropriate action.
- Experience in delivering on-going feedback whether it is about our product or people.
- A creative mind and seriously passionate about good food.
- Expertise in consumer food trends and the ability to identify what matters.
Work perks: Aside from your standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Macbook laptop
- Flexible vacation time
- Phone reimbursement
- Equinox gym membership, based on eligibility
- Commuter benefits
- Bonus potential
- Complimentary Dig Inn lunch everyday
Dig Inn is a farm-to-table food company with over 25 locations in New York and the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables and culinary comfort food on an urban scale. The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity and ambitious innovation, finding and implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, and farmers alike. Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our mission– building kitchens, training chefs, and developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities and use the platform we’ve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, and the business of food. And did we mention free Dig Inn for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.