About the role: You serve as the culinary nuts-and-bolts in our restaurants while managing and staying accountable for your team of culinarians. As an extremely efficient individual with a passion for executing food excellence and hospitality, you run a strong kitchen by showcasing advanced business and culinary acumen. In our high-volume operation, you are always looking at food quality, cost, and training as data-points for you and your team to grow.
Staying organized and detail-oriented in a fast paced environment is key to your role as Chef de Cuisine. We have a unique model where seasonal menu rollouts (or as we call them, Harvest Days) happen bimonthly. You will effectively multitask and train your culinary team through the day-to-day curation of an educational journey, which blends into our culture. Developing your team by role modeling while delivering excellent service to our guests is integral as we work towards a better food future.
About the team: Our restaurant teams are evolving within the structure of our inspired version of the fine-dining kitchen brigade. With direct reports from your executive sous chef and your chef’s in training team, you will report to your chef operator and collaborate with a field chef from our culinary team. The restaurant teams provide our guests with an experience that goes beyond a great meal.
- Be responsible for kitchen culture and best practices
- Lead your chef's in training team while delivering delicious food and great fiscal results
- Serve as a reference point for the entire kitchen team for questions on recipes, food specifics, and food quality
- Achieve and maintain the "A" letter grade from the Health Department, holding your team accountable and role-modeling cleanliness from your tactics organizing the kitchen and all stations
- Manage our kitchen, following up with all maintenance on culinary equipment, cleanliness, and organization of your restaurant
- Manage financials and collaborate with your Chef Operator to manage labor and food cost
- Build your kitchen team by interviewing, hiring, providing performance improvement, and disciplinary action
- Monitor and uphold food quality and presentation
- Evaluate our marketing line, measuring what’s ready to serve, what needs to be prepared, and any potential waste
- Ensure the kitchen is set up for success with all tasks completed on time
- Implement food preparation tactics that maximize efficiencies in your kitchen
- Maintain a tight and orderly kitchen, including storage, labeling, preparation, and all safety protocols
- Actively give feedback, monitoring the effectiveness of your team by providing timely positive and critical feedback
- Go home feeling fulfilled
- 2+ years managing a team of culinarians
- The ability to demonstrate and execute an exceedingly strong work ethic
- Skills to motivate and develop the culinarians on your team
- An appreciation for the people you work with
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs)
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever necessary
- The desire for professional improvement and the process of learning
- The drive to network and build strong ties in your restaurant’s community
- The ability to take many variables to find the best solution to a problem
- Excellent communication skills
- An eye for detail and solving challenges
- A desire for growth within our brigade
- Food Safety Certification
- Strong leadership skills
- A passion for real, good food
Future Assignment: There is a tasting component included in the final-stages of our interview journey.
Work Perks: Aside from the standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Commuter benefits
- Complimentary Dig Inn lunch everyday
Dig Inn is a vegetable-forward fine-fast casual restaurant group whose mission is to build community through food. With 20+ locations in NYC and Boston, and more sprouting soon, we are looking to grow our team and nurture the next crop of bright and driven people who are looking to impact the future of food. Our community is built through learning and development and as we grow, opportunities harvest from within. The work we do is challenging and fast paced, serving over 15,000 lbs of vegetables per week in each of our scratch based kitchens. As cooks develop into chefs, we are building a diverse and inspiring brand along the way.
Dig Inn believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.