Dandelion is looking for an Construction Estimator who will be responsible for the design and engineering of residential geothermal systems to include heating and cooling load calculations (using ACCA approved Manual J software), ground loop design, the evaluation of existing electrical and duct systems to assess the ability of those systems to support installation requirements. You will interact with different stakeholders in the company to help communicate and verify your designs as needed.
You will be a part of a dynamic team, so we are looking for someone who is comfortable in a start-up environment who’s ready to roll up their sleeves, jump in the trenches, and do whatever it takes to succeed. You will thrive in a constantly changing environment and look to grow in your role as we expand.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Conduct virtual design reviews with the homeowner to confirm critical building components in order to complete an accurate manual J
- System design: perform peak load calculations, equipment selection, ground heat exchanger, piping system design, duct / air distribution evaluation and assess installation feasibility during the design process.
- Distribution system integration: review the capabilities of existing ductwork, electric service panels, etc and prepare specifications for modifications when necessary
- Prepare the final contract for the sales team to present to the customer with all required verbiage, exclusions and customer obligations.
- Design documents: coordinate the creation of necessary drawings, equipment schedules, bill of materials, and product specifications. Prepare submittals for permitting and construction.
- Installation support: be available for the installation crews to answer questions, troubleshoot issues and review changes. Document correspondence as necessary.
- Communication: keep internal and external stakeholders informed of job progress and any issues that arise
Who you are:
- You have experience in drafting or, HVAC design or residential HVAC installation or residential construction
- Desire and ability to remotely work from a home office
- You have a strong attention to detail, are process oriented and goal driven
- You demonstrate an ability to understand and apply residential HVAC, electrical and plumbing design principles at a high level
- You have experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment to move projects forward
- You communicate technical details clearly and effectively
- You demonstrate ability and motivation to learn new things
- You have 1-2 years experience in performing ACCA Manual J heating and cooling load calculations- a plus
- If you have experience with geothermal ground heat exchanger design and/or installation, that’s a plus!
- Experience with Wrightsoft Right-Suite Universal a plus.
- Must be computer literate and comfortable working in multiple software platforms
Why You’ll Like Working Here
We are innovating. We are trying to actively mitigate climate change by making renewable technologies more accessible. It’s a hefty goal and something that no one has done before. You’ll get a chance to pioneer this space with us and make a big impact at an early stage consumer energy company
We have Good people. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people you’ve ever met (seriously, some of the stories will be mind-boggling!). We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
We value transparency and accountability. We are not about the spin and the messaging, and it’s important for us to be transparent. That’s why we hold monthly all-hands and share our progression, wins, and area for improvement.
- Medical, vision and dental health plans
- Company stock options
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Paid Family Leave
- 401k plan and commuter benefits
Dandelion Energy is an energy innovation company working to electrify home heating. We create and install geothermal heat pumps to replace fossil-fueled furnaces and boilers. Since spinning out of Google X in 2017, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees and have become the largest residential geothermal heat pump installation company in the US. Our carbon impact to date is the equivalent to taking over 25,000 cars off the road, and that impact is accelerating with our growth!
Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts in geothermal, drilling, heat pump and software engineering, HVAC installation, solar and solar financing, behavioral economics, and high-growth operations, among other backgrounds. With the potential to catalyze and scale a widespread transition to sustainable and affordable heating and cooling, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to create a wholesale shift in how people heat and cool their homes — join us!