Home geothermal technology was developed over half a century ago but has failed to reach widespread adoption despite being, on average, 48% more efficient than furnaces using gas, and 75% more efficient than furnaces using oil. While many HVAC companies sell geothermal heat pumps, they may only install a handful of custom systems each year, leaving them with little opportunity to develop or refine the specialized skill set required to enable peak system performance, let alone identify and manage inefficiencies at scale.
That’s where Dandelion Geothermal comes in. Dandelion, formerly incubated at Google’s X Lab, is on a mission to make geothermal heating and cooling affordable for homeowners by creating a totally streamlined process from start to finish. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. We raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
Our Field Operations Manager is responsible for managing Dandelion's Excavation and Drilling Operations, and is instrumental to the success of our in-home Geothermal System installations. This is a fantastic opportunity for an entrepreneurial and results-oriented professional to capitalize to help shape the way our teams execute and install in a scalable repeatable way while maintaining a customer centric approach. Heavy equipment and drilling operations experience is highly desirable.
What you’ll be doing"
- Manage the day-to-day exterior operations of Dandelion’s regional installation center including responsibility for:
- Overall revenue, costs, and expenses (P&L) of Dandelion’s regional installation center.
- Installation throughput
- Develop a monthly project plan (i.e. total projects drilled, total projects trenched) in collaboration with key Dandelion stakeholders.
- Execute against that plan by closely monitoring installation performance to ensure projects and the business are on track to meet our goals.
- Identify and implement business changes and process improvements to increase operational efficiency (i.e. increased throughput, zero punch-list) in collaboration with installation crews and Dandelion stakeholders.
- Job preparation
- Review project scopes, allocated labor hours, and site specific conditions with the crew lead in advance of project start date to identify and eliminate difficulties with executing on time and within budget.
- Ensure the crews are set up with the tools and materials to do their job safely, efficiently, and with high quality.
- Job close-out
- Track daily project progress and close-out procedures to ensure projects are being successfully closed out by crew leads.
- Create, track, and coordinate closure of project punch-list items.
- Manage customer communication and escalations with a high degree of customer service while a project is actively being installed.
- Safety and Quality
- Deliver a weekly "tool box talk” in the warehouse to deliver important safety and quality information to all crews.
- Ensure crews are properly trained and performing work safely in collaboration with Dandelion’s Safety Coordinator.
- Enforce continuous quality improvement in collaboration with Dandelion’s exterior installation experts.
- Personnel management
- Directly manage drilling crew members and excavation crew members (approximately 15-25 people).
- Hire, coach, and provide ongoing performance assessment of each crew member.
- Develop crew leadership skills to take on more project planning responsibilities and ownership.
“Who you are"
- 5+ years managing trades people in a production-oriented environment; i.e. meeting quotas, driving daily performance, following/developing standards and protocols.
- Demonstrated track record of success in leading a group of people toward a common goal.
- Strong problem solving and action/solutions orientation.
- High sense of responsibility for the success of your regional installation center.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to quickly learn and integrate new information.
- Excellent ability to identify problems and take effective action to minimize impact.
- Experience with residential or commercial excavation, drilling, or heavy equipment construction is ideal but expertise is not a requirement.
- Fluent in working and collaborating via email/Slack, project management software, Word, and spreadsheet documents.
- Comfortable with significant growth and overall business change.
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance offered
- 401k plan offered
- Stock/Equity options offered
- Paid Sick and Vacation
- Training support including on-the-job and virtual/online-based courses
- 40-hour workweek, overtime available
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.