Dandelion’s mission is to enable the widespread adoption of geothermal. We offer homeowners affordable geothermal heating & cooling systems as an alternative to gas, oil, propane or electric heating. Dandelion began at Google parent company Alphabet’s X lab before launching as an independent company in New York City in May 2017. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. The company has raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
We are looking for a Senior Driller to lead our on-site drilling efforts for residential geothermal projects. In this role, you will be directly responsible for the production rate of geothermal boreholes, the operation, and maintenance of equipment, the safety of on-site workers, and delivering feedback to both the Operations and Engineering team on how to optimize the overall process. You will also be responsible for ensuring the correct application of our design and installation standards.
The role requires a combination of a strong work ethic, problem-solving, and the desire and drive to make the entire workflow more efficient. In this role, you will make a significant impact in redefining how residential ground heat exchangers are installed which will lay the groundwork for Dandelion’s future growth and success.
- Verify the operational and safety status of operations, plant, equipment, and personnel at the start of every shift, including Job Hazard Analysis
- Review project scopes of work and support planning activities. Ensure geothermal ground loops are constructed within design parameters
- Perform geothermal borehole drilling operations in accordance with industry accepted standards including drilling, spoils collection, runoff containment, loop installation, and full-length grouting
- Ensuring drilling operations are completed in an efficient, technically competent, safe, cost-effective and environmentally responsible manner
- Manage projects to achieve drilling production goals, including planning and logistics for assigned completion activities
- Provide technical advice on the suitability of proposed drilling methods to achieve project objectives. Work with Operations and Engineering teams to develop safe, efficient and low-cost completion procedures for drilling operations
- Perform and/or delegate preventative maintenance tasks at specified intervals
- Provide detailed daily activity reporting, including inventory tracking, geological formations encountered, Plant and Equipment related paperwork
- Participate in safety meetings and incident investigations
- Provide direct input and take responsibility for cost control measures to ensure operations stay within budget
- On occasion, overnight travel may be required. Dandelion will endeavor to minimize or avoid such travel requirements.
Who you are
- Committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and comply with safety regulations
- Ability to operate heavy equipment with a valid CDL drivers license, class A or B
- Extensive working knowledge of production-oriented drilling field operations with 8+ years of drilling in geothermal, oil/gas exploration, blast hole/quarry/shothole drilling, water well drilling, or similar relevant fields
- At least 3 years experience in leading a drilling team
- Specific technical knowledge of air/water hammer principles a must
- Extensive DTH drilling experience is a must
- Experience setting and extracting temporary steel casing a big plus
- Strong leadership, mentoring, team-building, and people development skills. Proven track record of supervising employees
- Committed to accurate record keeping and continuous improvement of the organization
- Able to effectively communicate with customers
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills. Proven ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong commitment to achieving zero accidents and citations
- Industry certifications or licenses a plus
- Extensive experience in the Hudson River Valley a plus
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.