Home geothermal technology was developed over half a century ago but has failed to reach widespread adoption despite being, on average, 48% more efficient than furnaces using gas, and 75% more efficient than furnaces using oil. While many HVAC companies sell geothermal heat pumps, they may only install a handful of custom systems each year, leaving them with little opportunity to develop or refine the specialized skill set required to enable peak system performance, let alone identify and manage inefficiencies at scale.
That’s where Dandelion Geothermal comes in. Dandelion, formerly incubated at Google’s X Lab, is on a mission to make geothermal heating and cooling affordable for homeowners by creating a totally streamlined process from start to finish. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. We raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
The Geothermal Installer position is integral to the success of Dandelion Energy. She/he will be extremely driven, proactive by nature and excited about helping people improve their homes by switching to renewable energy. The Senior Installer role is a field based position and will spend the majority of her/his time performing tasks associated with the plumbing, HVAC, electrical and excavation trades. Success in the Senior Installer role will result from teamwork, craftsmanship, communication, attitude and aptitude.
This role reports to the Regional Operations Manager
Residential Geothermal Installations include the following:
- Installing Pex, Copper, and HDPE pipe/fittings
- Installing Heat Pumps, Circulators, Duct Work
- Excavating and Installing HDPE pipe from Borehole to Heat Pump
- System Commissioning complete with monitoring verification
- Project planning complete with material requests and scope of work verification
- Customer relations
- You have 2-3 years of prior experience with the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of residential HVAC installations. Includes steam boilers, chillers, refrigeration systems, pumps, air compressors, generators, blowers, fans, variable frequency drives, computerized maintenance control systems, and all other associated mechanical and electrical systems
- You are willing/able to train and develop aspiring HVAC/Geothermal professionals
- You hold yourself and teammates to high safety and quality standards
- You are a great communicator via phone, text, email and in person
- You're a prompt, reliable teammate
- You are customer service oriented
- You are organized with strong problem solving skills
- You must have a valid drivers license
- You are able to lift 50 lbs
Other Qualifications (preferred, but not required)
- NATE Certification
- IGSHPA Certified
- EPA certified
- Professional License-Holder
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance offered
- 401k plan offered
- Stock/Equity options offered
- Paid Sick and Vacation
- Training support including on-the-job and virtual/online based courses
- 40 hour work week, overtime available
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.