Dandelion’s mission is to enable the widespread adoption of geothermal. We offer homeowners affordable geothermal heating & cooling systems as an alternative to gas, oil, propane or electric heating. Dandelion began at Google parent company Alphabet’s X lab before launching as an independent company in New York City in May 2017. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. The company has raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
We are looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to play a critical role in building and scaling Dandelion’s embedded remote monitoring and control platform. Our platform includes an embedded system-on-a-chip with a cellular modem installed in every geothermal heat pump running a proprietary Linux-Based Dandelion OS and applications written in Python and C. Your role will focus on developing Dandelion OS and applications that support bidirectional communication between the geothermal heat pump and cloud server as well as on-site mobile devices. Communication with each geothermal system helps ensure proper installation as well as provide remote troubleshooting, ongoing performance validation, and long term aggregated analytics.
- Build small features independently and large ones collaboratively
- Write Python and C code that runs on our embedded device
- Contribute to building, customizing and streamlining our custom Linux based operating system
- Implement improved DevOps solutions for the full embedded stack from Firmware Build to Over-The-Air updates
- Contribute to maintaining high communication uptime for each device
- Focus on the highest value add work each and every sprint
- Be capable of self-guided work in a complex and multilayered architecture once given clear direction
Who you are:
- Computer Science degree, or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with cellular and WiFi-based IoT or embedded systems required
- 4+ years of Software development
- Technology experience in: Python (Embedded Preferred), Embedded C, Embedded Linux Build Systems and Toolchains (Yocto preferred), Serial I/O on Embedded Systems (Modbus specifically a plus)
- Experience customizing and deploying Linux-based systems and creating and implementing back-end APIs (WebSockets and JSON a plus)
- Experience working with systems that process, store and transmit time-series data streams a plus, particularly in an Embedded context using SQLite or similar
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform is a plus
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.