Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking a Manufacturing Quality Manager to join our headquarter facility in Chicago, IL. As the Manufacturing Quality Manager, you will be responsible for supporting the Manufacturing Quality Director in overseeing manufacturing process controls and parameters across the enterprise, with a specific focus on cannabis laboratory products and cannabis infused edible products. Product families include cannabis oil, manufactured infused products (lotion, capsules, vape pens/cartridges, transdermal patches), manufactured infused edible products. Associated quality activities involve serving as a process owner and subject matter expert for established SOPs governing manufacturing process controls and specifications, including but not limited to manufacturing formulas/batch record documentation, lot tracking, product R&D and development, stability testing, expiry dating, material segregation, material sampling and testing, packaging and labeling, etc. This position will be responsible for ensuring products are being produced in a manner that meets all specifications and brand consistency. Under the direction of the MQA Director, you will also assist with efforts to track and trend manufacturing and testing issues, identify potential quality risks and working with operations personnel to support improvement opportunities. The ideal candidate must demonstrate strong leadership and teamwork skills, be a strong communicator, have a breadth of quality experience, and ability to work within a highly regulated industry.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Drives delivery of day-to-day Quality Assurance activities, ensuring adherence to plan and schedule
- Provides expertise with regards to implementation and continuous monitoring of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) guidelines and best practices to the cannabis industry
- Assists the MQA Director in the development and implementation of manufacturing quality control requirements, products safety and quality programs, and SOPs
- Facilitates creation of and/or updates to product safety plans or product process parameters
- Assists the MQA Director with document writing and revisions, including routing and/or approval of change request packages
- Performs internal program reviews and audits as assigned
- Assess changes to requirements and procedures due key stakeholder feedback, new or evolving regulatory changes, and new market launches
- Ensures quality and operations personnel are adhering to SOPs
- Works with quality subject matter experts to generate ideas for projects and process improvements
- Discusses manufacturing quality and compliance related issues and concerns with the Manufacturing Quality Director
- Ensures adequate corrective and preventive actions and controls are properly identified and implemented
- Challenges the effectiveness and sustainability of QA Programs to ensure efficiency and compliance
- Supports technical transfer of new products. Develops and updates all finished product specifications (pharmaceutical and edibles)
- Conducts all duties in compliance with safety rules, applicable SOPs, and other applicable guidelines
- Supports the goals and objectives of the Manufacturing QA Director and the Quality organization’s objectives
- 25-30% travel to other facilities and states to help with new market launches, training, etc.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree (in Food Science, Biology, Chemistry preferred), 5+ years’ experience in a quality role
- Prior experience in highly regulated industry: healthcare, medical devices, pharmaceutical, consumer packaged goods (food), cannabis. Highly desirable: FDA/FSMA, HACCP, GFSI experience i.e. SQF, BRC, etc.
- Prior experience in Quality Assurance or Quality Control function
- Prior experience with manufacturing quality, stability programs, product development, sampling and testing, packaging and labeling, batch record reviews, product inspections, batch/lot release, material quarantine, product withdrawals/recalls.
- Prior experience in regulatory agency audits and correspondence
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including writing executive summaries and communicating with senior level operations, quality management team, and regulatory agencies
- Utilizes critical thinking to troubleshoot issues, work collaboratively with a team to brainstorm solutions, and implement improvement solutions
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.