Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking a Vice President of Retail Compliance to create, implement, and maintain all of our internal compliance functions across our National dispensary operations to deliver a world class retail organization that is customer focused and results driven while maintaining compliance at every level.
This newly created role will work within a team of experienced compliance professionals to comprehensively enhance and strengthen our compliance function across multiple disciplines throughout the retail department, ensuring our operations are consistent with applicable laws, regulations, contractual requirements, reporting, and industry best practices. The VP of Retail Compliance must have a strong working knowledge of federal and state regulatory guidelines and standards as it relates to the cannabis, food and beverage, and retail industry, and operate with the highest level of integrity and ethics.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Partner across retail and related departments to provide direction towards developing and promoting the compliance management strategy, including initiatives for SOPs, audit, training, and overall awareness and conformance with regulations
- Ensure all retail facilities operate with the same policies and procedures and in full compliance with local, state and federal laws/regulations, including the development and implementation of compliance training for staff across all locations, to ensure adherence across all retail functions while promoting legal and ethical conduct
- Monitor changes in applicable laws, regulations, and industry related news or events for all relevant subject matter and complete gap analyses to determine impact, if any, on retail operations, processes, and procedures and recommend changes as needed
- Develop policies and programs to encourage all employees to report any improprieties without fear of retaliation
- Assist internal departments to develop appropriate strategies and policies for interacting with enforcement and regulatory bodies on a local, state, and federal level where applicable in the retail environment (including but not limited to audits, reviews, examinations, etc.)
- Act as a partner with appropriate channels to evaluate concerns within the organization and ensure appropriate investigations and resolutions.
- Establish and facilitate regular risk assessments to identify potential areas of vulnerability, and develop and delegate corrective action plans to resolve accordingly, in addition to providing guidance to mitigate and prevent future risks
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- 10+ years in-house experience as a regulatory or compliance leader in a heavily regulated retail industry, such as pharmaceutical, food & beverage, etc., with a minimum of 5 years leading and developing a team
- Preferable: Working knowledge/understanding of regulations within the cannabis industry
- Demonstrated experience implementing and maintaining effective compliance programs
- Excellent communication, negotiation, training and presentation skills and ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Strong organizational, project-management and teamwork skills required
- Ability to travel 30%
- Able to manage multiple projects and work successfully in a fast-paced environment under strict time deadlines
- Ability to analyze issues and use creative problem solving to propose options and recommended course of action
- Ability work to collaboratively with individuals having diverse educational and cultural backgrounds
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.