Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
Cresco aims to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Their operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, they will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market they move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking a Payroll & Benefits Manager to join the HR team in our Chicago office. The ideal candidate will have previous experience processing and maintaining multiple payrolls as well as assisting in HR projects from a payroll and benefits perspective.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Participate in the accurate and timely compilation, preparation, and processing of a semi-monthly and bi-weekly payroll in accordance with state and federal regulations and company policies and procedures for exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Perform payroll processing quality assurance reviews prior to processing, including reviewing batch records for ad-hoc bonus payouts.
- Provide guidance, training, and support to all employees, including new hires, on time card management, provide additional training to managers on time card approvals.
- Process income and taxation on option exercise and the company’s restricted stock program.
- Responsible for payroll tax compliance including annual W-2 filing, reconciling form 941’s and ensuring all appropriate withholdings are applied to an employee’s pay.
- Partner with the accounting team on improving the company’s payroll control environment by suggesting and implementing new audits and data control processes.
- Coach the payroll, benefits, the broader HR team and Cresco employees on company payroll practices.
- Accountable for the company’s administration of benefits plans including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance.
- Responsible for ensuring end to end administration of the company’s 401k plan from on-boarding of employees, to deferral updates, funding uploads and year end audit and the 5500 process.
- Accountable for the ensuring benefit invoices are properly audited and sent to the company accounts payable team.
- Work with internal HR parties and vendors to automate the benefits administration process including but not limited to EDI files and new process suggestions.
- Responsible for administration of the company’s leave programs including FMLA, STD, LTD and other leave programs.
- Responsible for the year end benefits process.
- Coach the payroll, benefits, the broader HR team and Cresco employees on company benefit practices.
- Administering the company’s stock grant and exercise system and associated payroll process.
- Assist in HR projects from a payroll and benefits perspective such as merger and acquisition events.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Ability to communicate uncomplex and complex financial related information to a wide audience.
- Processed payroll on a HRIS system (ADP, Ultimate Software, Ceridian, Workday)
- Understanding of laws that impact payroll, benefits and HR.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and is flexible with changing priorities.
- 6 + years of progressive experience in a multi-state payroll and benefits environment, preferably in a rapidly growing company.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply.
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status