Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
Cresco aims to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Their operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, they will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market they move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking a Corporate Communications Director with public relations experience to join our Corporate Communications team in Chicago, IL. The Corporate Communications Director will own, develop, and manage strategic communication and public relations activities. This candidate will work directly with our Chief Communications Officer, as well as Cresco leadership, to help develop and execute a communications plan that tells a cohesive narrative around Cresco Labs, its mission, brands, and values. This candidate is an independent self-starter with the ability to work cross-functionally with other departments, such as such as marketing, investor relations, human resources, and information technology to ensure uniformity of message and brand identity to various audiences.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Draft and execute a comprehensive external communications plan that addresses messaging and outreach strategy for target audiences including consumer media, financial media, industry media, market-specific media and mainstream media
- Follow the company’s brand and style guidelines across all communication materials, public facing and internal
- Be the creative director and writer for press releases and talking points needed to articulate relevant Cresco Labs news, as well as the company’s position on various industry and regulatory issues
- Partner with the CCO on managing day-to-day interactions with news media on behalf of the company, including building and maintaining strong relationships with media outlets, pitching stories to local and national media, and acting as point of contact for media
- Develop and execute a proactive and strategic external communications strategy with plans to grow brand awareness, brand recognition, loyalty, and interest in Cresco Labs brands and products
- Assist with building investor relations communication strategy and execution, being a key contributor to communication pieces, including newsletters and collaterals, aimed at existing and potential investors, following disclosure guidelines, and keeping the audience engaged and excited about Cresco Labs capital ventures
- Develop and oversee an internal communications plan that highlights Cresco Labs mission, values, and relevant updates to employees
- Advise corporate executives and team members on best way to communicate major corporate news
- Draft speeches for leadership to deliver at external conferences, speaking engagements, and industry events
- Ensure the maintenance of a cataloged archive of all Cresco Labs print and electronic media coverage for future use
- Manage a crisis communications strategy that accounts for our geographic disparity and the various crisis scenarios we could encounter as our organization scales
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- 7+ years of corporate or agency experience developing and implementing multi-tiered communications strategies, 2+ years leading and developing a team
- Experience in consumer lifestyle or healthcare is a plus, but not required.
- Extensive writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record of high-level implementation and managing a variety of key projects concurrently
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Superior organizational skills and ability to follow strict deadlines
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all company departments, employees, board members, patients and members of the media
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.