Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is among the largest cultivation, manufacturing and retail cannabis operators in the U.S. We provide a full suite of consistently dosed products catering to all consumers, from the novice to the connoisseur, from the medically treated to the recreational user. The company’s core values emphasize educating consumers while seeking to eliminate social stigmas associated with marijuana. We have developed strong partnerships with dispensaries, law-makers, physicians, and local communities – putting Cresco in a unique position to establish a national operation in the complex and developing cannabis industry.
Cresco aims to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Their operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, they will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market they move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking a VP of Research and Development to join our team. The role will be located primarily out of our Chicago Headquarters (and could be based out of Joliet, IL) but will require travel to and from our manufacturing operations in Joliet, IL. The VP of Research and Development will be responsible for providing technical direction to the Cresco technical team and drive new product development and improvement of existing products. You will oversee all product innovation and develop new technical capabilities to support your accountability for delivery of all projects in time, within budget and with the highest quality across product innovation projects, and continuous improvement and productivity initiatives.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- R&D Product development. Develop project portfolios, budget to meet goals, deliver revenue targets.
- Organize the product development team to execute and deliver projects on-time and in budget; Identify new products, brand support/renovations, and cost saving opportunities.
- Strongly influence product support groups (packaging, processing, consumer insights, and regulatory)
- Partner with Brand Marketing, New Products Marketing, Operations, and Quality to ensure alignment and maximize performance against objectives
- Track and monitor KPI's established as part of the OGSM; drive consumer repeat metrics to support bigger and better innovation.
- Manage and develop new projects with the R&D team and improve existing products to maximize productivity and innovation through technical assessments, cost-opportunity or prioritization implications •
- Assign resources to complete projects by evaluating short, mid and long-range goals, anticipating staffing needs, and manage R&D product development budget
- Provide technical & project management guidance to food scientists by providing project timelines, creating contingency plans to project risks, and ensure that product development is within budget and has the highest quality
- Have a sense of urgency with a can-do attitude with strong analytical skills and problem-solving tools including root cause analysis, flowcharts, and fishbone diagrams.
- Strong team environment (a "We" not "me" attitude)
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- 5-7 years experience in Product Development activities in the food and beverage industry or related field
- Must have management and supervision experience in food/beverage/pharmaceutical manufacturing/production/packaging environment
- Product development in an R&D setting
- Knowledge of developing budgets and standards
- Experience managing a team in a R&D setting
- Must have past experience with data analysis and reporting
- Safety management and surveillance skills
- Experience in a highly regulated food/beverage/pharmaceutical industry preferred
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry