Hi, we are CreditBook!
CreditBook is building technology that seeks to improve financial outcomes for entrepreneurs. We are excited to be at the forefront of accelerating the digitization of small and medium-sized businesses across Pakistan.
The problem that we are solving for is that in emerging markets, a lack of access to technology at the micro and small-business level means that these businesses lack visibility on their cash flows, payables and receivables and spend onerous time and resources in managing paper registers. The resulting broken cashflows limit the ability of these entrepreneurs to use their capital in growing their business or acquiring customers. We're passionate about solving this problem at scale.
In the first 12-18 months, CreditBook has secured $11m+ USD in venture financing and has scaled its technology to tens of thousands of micro-businesses across Pakistan. Our success has been backed by leading investors from around the world, including Tiger Global, Firstminute Capital, Quiet Capital, and Better Tomorrow Ventures.
We are keen to partner with curious individuals, passionate about solving for this problem with us. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply today!
Who we're looking for
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be a key contributor to our fast-growing product line. The focus will be on building scalable, reliable, and high-performance systems, capable of handling high-volume traffic securely and efficiently that will power a range of initiatives at Creditbook.
Working on a diverse team of backend, data, and full-stack engineers, you'll have the autonomy to manage cross-functional engineering projects and the chance to shape the direction of our team's roadmap. You'll also have the chance to innovate on our product and be a vocal advocate for excellence.
How you’ll make an impact
- Collaborate with the core team to design the overall architecture for our backend services. Come up with practical architecture designs, discover any external cloud services we might need, build demos to test and verify any tech/production constraints, and ultimately make product scale
- Implement business logic in our backend and shared libraries. You will also need to provide a way of quickly iterating on design updates, collecting analytics, and monitoring overall performance
- Support CI/CD for backend server code changes and think of creative ways to improve efficiency for the developer experience
- Design, develop, test, and maintain scalable and efficient backend systems
- Collaborate with product managers, data scientists, and other stakeholders to understand business requirements and translate them into technical solutions
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-documented code using best practices and coding standards
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, including frontend, data engineering, and platform, to ensure seamless integration of backend systems with other components of the streaming platform
- Conduct code reviews and provide feedback to peers to ensure code quality and consistency
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior engineers to foster their professional growth
What we’d love to see
- Proficiency in one or more backend programming languages NodeJS and Python
- Sound knowledge of one or more web frameworks in ExpressJS and Django
- Experience with designing, developing, and deploying microservices in a production environment; including understanding of service discovery, API gateway, load balancing, and fault tolerance
- Solid understanding of relational databases (Postgres) and/or NoSQL databases (MongoDB) including the ability to design and optimize database schemas, write efficient queries, and handle database performance tuning
- Deep understanding of distributed systems concepts, such as distributed caching, messaging queues, event-driven architectures, and eventual consistency, and experience with technologies such as Kafka, NATS streaming or Redis
- Ability to optimize backend systems for high performance, scalability, and reliability, including understanding of caching mechanisms, query optimization, and performance monitoring tools
- Strong skills in writing unit tests, integration tests, and end-to-end tests for backend applications.
- Knowledge of DevOps practices, including continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD), containerization technology (Docker), container orchestration platform (Kubernetes), and cloud platform (AWS)
- Proficiency in using version control systems, such as Git, for code collaboration, versioning, and branching strategies
- Experience with designing, developing, and documenting RESTful APIs. Experience with GraphQL is a plus
- Experience working on systems/products collecting and processing event stream data, user data, analytics data, behavioral data
- Experience building production data processing systems
- Experience building products while the platform is being built
What we offer (Benefits & Compensation)
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Health Insurance benefits
- Remote-first culture -- work when you want, how you want (on-site or remote or both)!
- Unlimited total paid leaves
- Engaging culture with company-wide weekly updates about business metrics and customer stories
- Yearly training sponsorship budget for teammates
- A feedback-heavy culture consisting of quarterly feedback cycles and regular 1:1 check-ins with one's manager
- Internal and external masterclasses from individuals at renowned global organizations
- People-first policies like early salary disbursement ahead of major holidays like Eid, Christmas and Holi
- Free lunch at the office on Tuesdays!
- Exposure to a multicultural team, spread across three continents
Just So You Know
CreditBook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strictly prohibits discrimination of any kind. We believe that great ideas come through broad exposure, diversity and healthy debate. We are committed to building the best team possible and all employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual potential and qualifications, without regard to race, color, age, religion, socioeconomic status, orientation, gender identity, national origin or disability.
We feel excited about learning from one another and getting unique, thoughtful, bold opinions -- we're excited for yours!