Coursera can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity, assuming candidates have eligible working rights and a sufficient timezone overlap with their team. Our interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a remote-first company.
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 102 million registered learners as of March 31, 2022. Coursera partners with over 250 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Coursera’s Engineering teams are responsible for maintaining a scalable and reliable platform. Engineering works to build interactive products for the worldwide learner community.
As an engineer at Coursera, you will be empowered to build well-engineered products that shape new platform features and advance our technical infrastructure. You will be encouraged to build reliable, scalable, testable, and efficient systems.
We innovate, productize, and iterate at start-up speed, deploying our code over 25 times a day. When you join our team, you will be given the opportunity to take ownership of significant parts of our codebase. Check out life at Coursera on The Muse!
- Rapidly innovate on products and scalable infrastructure with a fail fast mindset
- Implement features using cutting edge technologies (i.e. React.js, Scala, Swift, Kotlin)
- Work in a cross functional team of Engineers, PMs, Designers, Data Scientists, UX Researchers, and Marketing.
- Own projects and drive scoping and prioritization decisions
- Measure your work thoroughly, analyze results, and drive new product changes through A/B testing
- At least one previous internship or work experience in related field
- Currently pursuing a B.A./B.S. Degree or higher in Computer Science, or related technical field
- Strong oral and written communication skills; strong representation of previous work
- Ability to work on a team and learn quickly
- Experience working in a short-cycle, agile, iterative development team
- Knowledge of computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design, and object oriented skills
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design
- Self-motivated, smart, hands-on, relentlessly focused on impact, and able to operate under a great deal of independence