An Invitation To Apply for the Position of
Finance Associate at
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a bad day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be hectic and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Self reflective and open to feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow one’s professional practice
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- Detail-oriented and a high level of organization
- Comfortable with data entry, Excel/Google Sheets, and basic elements of finance
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
- Work with school-based operations teams to manage the accounts payable function:
- processing of invoices through Concur, a web-based purchase order platform
- reconciliation of credit card accounts to Quickbooks
- preparation of vendor payments by check as applicable
- Conduct monthly bank reconciliations across multiple accounts and assist with tasks related to the cash management cycle
- Prepare and deliver bank deposits, including cash receipts and posting transactions into Quickbooks
- Work with Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to produce and analyze monthly and quarterly reports for the Board of Trustees, SUNY authorizer/NY State Education Department, and relevant internal groups
- Assist with the annual financial audits (2 entities) and Form 990 preparation, as well as the 403(b) retirement plan audit and matching processes
- Support the development of the annual budget, in conjunction with the CFO and Executive Director
- Record and track income expenses related to all contracts and grants, including federal entitlements (Title Funding)
- Maintain detailed and organized electronic storage of financial documentation
- Manage vendors to resolve disputes, fix billing errors, provide tax-exempt documentation, etc.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their role.
Flexible (May-July 2019 ideal)
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.