Named America’s best boutique agency in 2021 and 2022, CLYDE is seeking an Associate Vice President (AVP), Public Affairs to join our growing communications agency. Under our vision to be the best agency to work for, we’re a principles-driven firm disrupting “business as usual” in communications through creative strategy focused entirely on results-driven client service. Our work deals with exciting national-level issues, including protecting our democracy and servicing heavily regulated industries. CLYDE team members should have an interest in, and enthusiasm for, the development of a rapidly growing agency. Our team is creative, ambitious, collaborative, and highly rewarded.
Candidates should have 10–13 years of communications experience in communications agencies, political campaigns, non-profit advocacy organizations, or Capitol Hill, with experience leading projects and clients, departments, and managing people. Candidates should be established as a voice for an industry, specialty, or principal.
The AVP will shape and support execution of strategies for a portfolio of public affairs clients primarily in the democracy space, with additional support for organizations operating in highly regulated industries. This person will empower team members to achieve outcomes for clients by leading entire account teams and serving as the primary point of contact for clients. They will develop strong personal and professional relationships with clients, advise on the design and implementation of creative strategies for key audiences (from consumers to opinion elites), and play an active role in shaping our Public Affairs team and firm. They will also lead business development efforts and proactively bring in new client opportunities.
What you will be doing:
- Play a critical role on 2 to 5 client teams, building relationships with clients, serving as a go-to resource for clients, and providing strategic communications advice and direction to achieve client goals
- Work closely with client and internal teams to develop sophisticated and creative communications strategies—and be confident in shifting strategies to address emerging threats and industry trends
- Actively look for ways to grow client business by adding new services to SOWs that achieve client objectives
- Identify industry trends, current events, proposed legislation, electoral outcomes that may impact client portfolio and establish strategic direction and response
- Maintain personal relationships with clients
- Ensure all client deadlines are met and quality of work is high
- Collaborate with internal client delivery teams, including content, digital, and creative, to improve offerings across accounts
- Expertly bring in client delivery teams to manage profitability, develop and support creation of client deliverables
- Oversee financial aspects of the client work, including SOW development, budget tracking, monthly reporting, monthly billing, client profitability, and team member utilization
- Confident standing up new client accounts, including developing the resources and tools needed to execute against SOW and achieve client goals
- Direct business development process for potential clients
- Manage two or more direct reports and guide their professional development
- Support CLYDE initiatives, including agency visibility efforts, award submissions, DE&I programs, and professional development opportunities
- Make recommendations on how to grow CLYDE beyond client work
- Adheres to firm’s policies and procedures
- Ensures direct reports are adhering to firm policies and procedures
- Fierce commitment to, and respect for, a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Contributes to CLYDE visibility efforts and seeks out external opportunities for personal visibility (contributed articles, speaking opportunities, etc.)
- Taps own network to find business development connections
- Strong sense of EQ with internal team members and external clients and vendors
- Builds positive relationships with internal team members, across functions, and can inspire, lead, and motivate teams
- Excellent verbal communicator in 1:1, small group, and large group presentations.
- Able to communicate around sensitive/challenging client issues
- Show initiative in suggesting improvements and solving problems
- Mentor junior staff and participate in professional development opportunities for self
- Provide meaningful constructive feedback to senior leadership
- Give employees confidence to complete tasks
- Support hiring efforts
- 10–13 years of political communications experience; 5+ years of management experience
- Experience independently running, or serving as a key team member for, small and medium clients
- Experience as an on-the-record spokesperson (for candidate, organization, elected official)
- Established media relationships with political beat reporters
- Desire to manage people, mentor junior team members, and lead teams
- Seeks and is receptive to constructive feedback
- Possesses excellent writing and grammar skills, including the ability to write concisely, clearly, and logically
- Can edit the work of junior team members and explain edits in a way that improves their skills
- Excellent multitasker
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Comfortable with basic social media platforms such as Facebook, Threads, LinkedIn, and X
- Comfortable with Microsoft and Google office products
- Comfortable learning and adopting new tech platforms
- Professional and mature demeanor in working with peers and more junior team members directly to solve problems, address issues, diffuse internal challenges
The salary range for this position is $88,300 - $127,200.
Named America’s best boutique agency in 2022 by PRovoke, CLYDE is a principles-driven strategic communications agency guided by a vision to be the best agency to work with and the best agency to work for. Based in Washington, DC with a presence in multiple other locations, CLYDE offers communications and public affairs services to major corporations, nonprofits, advocacy organizations, and trade associations, among others. With a mission to create and connect to move the world forward, CLYDE is driven by strategy, creativity, and experience, bringing ambitious ideas, creative solutions, and an authentic personality to every task.
CLYDE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.