ClassDojo's goal is to accelerate humanity’s progress, by giving every child on Earth an education they love.
We started by building a network that connects teachers, children, and families. ClassDojo’s flagship app is the #1 communication app connecting K-8 teachers, children, and families, globally. They use it to share what’s happening throughout the day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. It is actively used at an unprecedented scale: in over 95% of US schools, reaching over 50 million children in 180 countries, with a team of just around 200 people . We are now beginning to use this network to give kids the best learning experiences in the world, far beyond those a standard school can provide.
We hire for talent density. Our team comprises the most talented, entrepreneurial, and innovative teammates from around the world, with experience in education and large scale consumer internet companies, including Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Stripe, Uber, Y Combinator, and more. We’re building a company where the most talented people want to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here—and you’ll pioneer the future of education, too.
What you’ll do:
We are seeking a Staff Analytics Engineer to join our Data Science and Analytics team. The ideal candidate will possess a passion for education and a strong foundation in all aspects of analytics engineering. In this pivotal role, you will be instrumental in making data accessible and actionable, facilitating informed decision-making throughout the company. You will partner and lead across multiple product team functions and domains and drive impact through your data vision and architecture.
You will be a match if:
7+ years experience with data / analytics engineering
Collaboration and Communication:
- You have owned large-scale data projects that drove significant impact across the company
- You are an effective partner with engineering, data analysts, data scientists, and other business stakeholders.
- You dive deep into understanding the product itself, team roadmaps, technical architecture, and data flow from logging to warehouse. You ask questions and unblock yourself in truly owning your project scope.
- You enjoy mentoring other data-savvy stakeholders (Data Science, PM, Eng) on data best practices
- You live and breathe schema design (whether it's Snowflake, Star, or Data Vault 2.0) and sharing your ideas in thoughtful design reviews
- You have a deep love of creating clean fact, dimension, aggregate, cube tables and get excited about tracking their downstream usage and feedback
- You have led the design, implementation, and monitoring of large scale data warehouses and data marts that enable clear product-focused insights
SQL and Query Performance:
- You are an expert at SQL and are very comfortable writing window functions, STRUCT/ARRAY manipulation, and query optimization
- You adhere to and promote performance best practices for your tables depending on the database engine (partitions, sort keys, dist keys, clustering, incremental modeling)
- You have a passion for data cataloging and metadata management tools to document data assets and ensure data lineage
- You live by data governance principles, including data classification, data ownership, and data stewardship
Data Transformation and ETL:
- You design systems with a test-driven approach in mind to trap bad quality data or highlight alerts as part of your data flow
- Familiarity with ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes and tools to prepare and clean data for analysis
- Skill in using tools like dbt to build data transformation pipelines
You might be a good fit if:
- You love working with SQL frameworks like dbt to cleanly abstract model code from implementation
- You are an Airflow expert and digging into DAG failures and optimizing task run times excites you
- You are passionate about data governance and how we can apply principles like least-privilege access, retention policies, and data minimization at scale
 Some more context:
(If you are on LinkedIn, you will not be able to access the hyperlinks below. Once you click apply, you will be directed to our career website (if you are not on there already) and will be able to access the hyperlinks)
- ClassDojo is one of Y Combinator’s Top 100 companies
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We are a distributed company, so we hire regardless of location, as long as you are willing to have significant hours overlap with one of the Americas time zones.