ClassDojo’s vision is to create a modern education system that gives every child on Earth a 10x better learning experience than today’s. Our plan to do this is to bring communities of teachers, kids, and families together all over the world, and give those communities the power to improve education for their kids.
Data is core to how ClassDojo makes decisions. As a data science team, we work closely with partners across product, engineering, design, research and marketing to develop business insights and make actionable recommendations. We're looking for high-performing generalist data scientists to come work alongside us to take on some of the most interesting and impactful problems in education.
You'll be part of a high context, cross-functional team, where we value learning quickly to build a modern education system for hundreds of millions of teachers, children and families. You’ll pursue a variety of problems ranging from understanding our users, to ensuring we invest in the right growth strategies in each of the 180+ countries we operate it, to growing our community, to empowering teams to find their own answers. You'll work with colleagues across the business to uncover insights, design experiments and measure the impact, and ultimately help influence decision-making across the entire company.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with product managers, engineers, marketers, designers, and operators to define product strategy and direction.
- Identify opportunities for growth by designing and analyzing product experiments, working with cross-functional teams to translate insights into action.
- Develop analytical frameworks to monitor business and product performance, including growth and engagement.
- Empower teammates with the skills and tools to make data-driven decisions.
Relevant skills / experience
- 3+ years of industry experience in a data science or analytics role
- Ability to write structured and efficient SQL queries on large data sets.
- Experience with data pipelines: transforming raw production and external data into user-friendly tables.
- Experience designing AB/multivariate tests and drawing actionable conclusions.
- Experience in programming, especially with data science libraries in Python or R
- Ability to visualize and communicate insights to stakeholders.
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related field
ClassDojo's mission is to bring communities together, and help them create an education experience their children love. Founded in 2011 (ImagineK12 / Y Combinator) and based in San Francisco, California, ClassDojo started as communication app: a simple way for teachers, families, and children to share the magic of the school day through photos, videos, and messages. It creates a close-knit classroom community, and exciting, inspiring and creative classrooms and homes for kids. We’re one of the fastest growing education companies of all time, used and loved by tens of millions of teachers, families and children in 90% of K-8 schools in the US, and 180 other countries.
You can read more about our vision to change education from the ground up here: https://medium.com/@samchaudhary/https-medium-com-samchaudhary-how-to-change-education-from-the-ground-up-f82b8f3e4b95.
We believe focused, talented, non-hierarchical teams can achieve a surprising amount: https://blog.ycombinator.com/its-surprising-how-much-small-teams-can-get-done-sam-chaudhary-of-classdojo/. Our team is made up of engineers, designers, and educators from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education, as well as from leading consumer internet organizations like Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator and more. We’re building a company that will transform education, and one that is the kind of place we’ve all always wanted to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here.
ClassDojo’s vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. We strongly feel the best way to do this is to work with people from diverse backgrounds that truly reflect the world. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We hire both locally in San Francisco, and distributed teammates around the world.
If you're excited about having an impact in education at massive scale, we'd love to hear from you.