Pay Range: $55,997 - $72,796 annual compensation
Job Posting Closing on: Thursday, April 7th, 2023
The City of Fort Worth is the 13th largest city in the U.S. and the fastest growing among large cities. Fort Worth has received multiple accolades, including number one Downtown (Livability), and the second-best City in the nation for Job Seekers (Forbes). Our employees serve the needs of more than 900,000 residents. We are seeking individuals that reflect our values of exceptional customer experience, mutual respect, embracing our diversity, continuous improvement, ethical behavior, and accountability.
A Library Branch Manager job is available with the city of Fort Worth Library Department. We are looking for two experienced and innovative community leaders with a strong commitment to public service to lead the Northside Branch Library. The successful candidates will be strategic thinkers as well as skilled people managers. They will be comfortable making decisions, establishing and maintaining community partnerships, providing services to children and adults, and managing library collections and facilities. Additionally, the perfect candidates will be comfortable working with diverse populations, including people of all ages, backgrounds, dispositions, and abilities.
The Library Branch Manager job responsibilities include:
- Plans, organizes, and directs the day-to-day operations and staff of a branch library to ensure efficient and effective public service; interprets policy and procedures; resolves daily operational problems; oversees and ensures that the location is well-ordered, appealing, and inviting.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities including planning, assigning and directing work; hiring; performance management; managing and approving payroll time entries, approving leave requests for direct reports; communicating with staff; addressing complaints and resolving problems; training staff as necessary on basic job functions.
- Provides excellent customer service, including answering questions and helping customers locate materials and services of interest.
- Uses effective techniques, good judgment, and established organizational values, policies and procedures to resolve difficult situations with customers.
- Champions the Library’s strategic goals and initiatives with the system’s mission, vision and core values in mind.
- Promotes Library use within the service area by initiating or continuing communications with community agencies.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates local outreach programs and services in conjunction with staff.
- Assists in succession planning; provides coaching and mentoring for direct reports and indirect reports.
- Evaluates/assesses Library standards and services at location.
- Monitors adherence to branch library budget.
- Manages the location’s overall collection, including promotion, maintenance, and weeding.
- Assists customers with basic computer needs and emerging technologies.
- Master’s Degree and at least 2 years of management experience with evidence of progressive responsibility and interdisciplinary approaches to problem-solving and decision-making.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel to various locations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Ability to speak, read and write in Spanish.
- Knowledge of management principles and practices including goal setting, budget development/implementation, and staff development and motivation.
- Knowledge of modern professional library principles, practices, and procedures.
- Skill in hiring, motivating, developing, and directing staff in a collaborative team environment
- Experience building sustainable community relationships.
While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch, and lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Conditions of Employment
Candidates who do not meet the Education requirement, may be considered if they have more relevant work experience than the position requires. Those selected for employment will be required to pass Pre-Employment checks depending on the position requirements. Those could include, but are not limited to: criminal background check, drug screen, education verification, etc. Criminal convictions will be considered on a case by case basis. Employees are paid by direct deposit only. Equal Opportunity Employer.