Thanks for stopping by to check out Citizen and our open roles! Whether you're actively looking for a new opportunity or not, join our Talent Network to stay in the know about all things hiring at Citizen. Feel free to apply and our recruiting team will be in touch when we have a role that aligns with your interests and background! We're on a mission to make the world a safer place and would love the opportunity to have you join us in the future.
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid product—Citizen Protect—is a first-of-its-kind personal safety subscription that allows users to reach a digital guardian 24/7 for $20/mo. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
- Scaling & Bursting: With thousands of users joining the platform each day, we need to ensure our systems scale to handle expanded load gracefully. On significant events, we see over a million simultaneously connected clients and their associated live streams. Our core systems need to be able to efficiently support these traffic patterns and continue to scale to millions of more users in the future.
- Machine learning: We process thousands of hours of audio every day looking for incidents that impact our users’ safety. To do this at scale, we’ve built ML models for audio analysis and targeting using the current state of the art from academia.
- Analytics: We want to alert users to the incidents that matter to them, in a way that scales across different geographic densities and demographics.
- Mobile video streaming: Our app ingests high-quality video at low-latency, transcodes, and redistributes the video to external media outlets seamlessly.
- Radio hardware: We build our own software-defined radio-based devices to consume all radio dispatch in every major city, whether analog or digital.
- Mobile: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Web: React.js, TypeScript
- Services: Go for transactional systems; Python for analytical systems
- Datastores: Cassandra, MySQL, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, Memcached, Redis, Google PubSub
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform
- Help us maintain a critical internal web platform for managing real-time audio feeds from multiple 911 systems and a recent integration of a safety concierge service with the power to dispatch emergency help.
- Work closely with Product Managers and Product Designers to create intuitive user experiences.
- Collaborate closely with Data Science, Mobile, and Backend Engineering to optimize the frontend architecture and user experience.
- Demonstrate rigor with code quality, best practices, and code review, while understanding product tradeoffs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years experience with frontend development.
- Experience working on a web application with substantial state and event driven behaviors.
- Some experience with backend development (Node or Go experience ideal).
- Experience testing code with tools like Jest, Enzyme, Mocha or QUnit.
- Enjoys teaching and collaborating with others.
Citizen is a fully-distributed team that offers a competitive compensation & benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock options, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.