Citizen is a free app that keeps you and your loved ones safe. It is a powerful force for good that has already evacuated people from burning buildings, diverted school buses from nearby terrorist attacks and reunited missing children with their parents.
Using our unique technology, 911 alerts are made available to the public and are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content to provide you with the information you need to protect yourself and your loved ones. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
This year Citizen will expand further across the United States with the express mission of making your world a safer place. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help take the Citizen app to the next level as we scale up nationwide. With a group of passionate builders from Facebook, Square, Uber, Google and HQ Trivia, Citizen is the company your current company doesn’t want you to know about.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, and Goodwater Capital and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
- Scaling: We have one of the fastest-growing organic user bases in NYC, and have expanded to multiple other cities. We are focused on the nationwide launch and the need to support that scale. A Citizen international launch will follow.
- Bursting: We designed our infrastructure to scale without notice in case of a spontaneous incident where we need to inform our entire user base. On significant events, we see over a million simultaneously connected clients and their associated live streams. The core systems need to be able to efficiently support these traffic patterns and continue to scale to millions of more users in the future.
- Machine learning: We process thousands of hours of audio every day looking for incidents that impact our users’ safety. To do this at scale, we’ve built ML models for audio analysis and targeting using the current state of the art from academia.
- Analytics: We want to alert users to the incidents that matter to them, in a way that scales across different geographic densities and demographics.
- Mobile video streaming: Our app will ingest high-quality video at low-latency, transcode, and redistribute the video to external media outlets seamlessly.
- Radio hardware: We build our own software-defined radio-based devices to consume all radio dispatch in every major city, whether analog or digital.
Our Stack - languages we use and teach
- Mobile: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Web: React.js, TypeScript
- Services: Go for transactional systems; Python for analytical systems
- Datastores: Cassandra, MySQL, Redis, Google PubSub
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes on Google Cloud
- Work as an architect and developer, designing and building our systems for scale, modularity, and flexibility without compromising on reliability.
- Deliver backend systems with an attention to high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Build and operate infrastructure, toolset, and deployment pipelines.
- Take operational responsibility for the services we build.
- Work with proven open source tools, rather than bespoke custom implementations.
- Work closely with our Data Science, Mobile, and Frontend teams to deliver a consistent experience to our users in real-time.
- Demonstrate rigor with code quality, best practices, and code review, while understanding product tradeoffs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5 -10 years engineering experience, focusing primarily on backend development.
- Hands-on experience with some of the following: video streaming; scalable SQL; tuning distributed systems; devops at scale; software defined radios; digital signal processing.
- Experience with large code bases in systems languages like C, Go, Java, Python, etc.
- Enjoys teaching and collaborating with others.
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.