Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid product—Citizen Protect—is a first-of-its-kind personal safety subscription that allows users to reach a digital guardian 24/7 for $20/mo. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About the Role:
Citizen’s software architects and engineers develop the next-generation technologies that fulfill the company’s mission to protect the world. Our products are used by users everyday to keep them safe and to help them make informed decisions that affect their safety. To this end, our products need to be intuitive, reliable, and fast.
We're looking for architects and engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including UI design and mobile design, geographic presentation of hyper-localized realtime information, live video upload, zero-latency video conversations with webRTC, live location tracking, CoreML, natural language processing and event detection, working with the latest mobile frameworks like SwiftUI, Combine, TCA (on iOS) and Jetpack Compose, Hilt, and Coroutines (on Android); the list goes on and is growing every day.
As a Staff Mobile Engineer, you are critical to bringing Citizen’s mission to fruition. Your job involves working with multiple internal technical stakeholders to chalk out the architecture for Citizen's mobile apps. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities, and to be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full stack as we continue to push technology forward in our pursuit of protecting the world.
What You'll Do Here:
- Work with the CTO to lead the entire system design of Citizen's mobile applications as well as design of major features, foundational technologies, and the implementation of the latest and greatest frameworks and standards
- Keen understanding of multiple technologies used to build full, modern, and real time mobile applications
- Work closely with our backend systems to assist in building out fluid and clear APIs
- Be the shepherd of all architectural decisions with a keen eye on performance and scale of the software stack
- Work cross-functionally with the Product Management and UX teams to bring their core requirements to the tech stack
- Mentor and train other team members on architecture, design techniques, and coding standards
- Successfully communicate the state of the system to the executive leadership team at Citizen
- Keep an eye on progress of development teams to ensure consistency with the architecture
- Help cultivate innovation by being a thought leader in multiple facets of Citizen’s technology stack
- Actively seek ways to improve software processes and interactions with a view of increasing developer productivity
- Use a proactive approach to common challenges by continually researching best practices in architecture, design and coding
- Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc.
We'd Love to Hear from You if You Have:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field preferred
- Proven experience as a software architect & leading large scale projects for mobile app development
- Proficient in Swift and iOS frameworks or Kotlin and Android frameworks
- Hands-on technical leadership experience directing project teams and setting technical expectation
- Experience architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems with significant impact
- Interest and ability to learn the latest development trends in engineering and Android or iOS
- Experience in software development with a track record of working on mission critical, user-first products
- Familiarity with mobile, frontend and UI/UX design
- A technical mindset with great attention to detail
- Excellent collaboration and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and presentation abilities
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.