Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines flying by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. Citizen’s newest product, Protect, is a premium subscription safety offering that is already helping thousands of users stay safe. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to tens of millions of people worldwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
About the Team
The Central Operations team is Citizen’s 24/7 newsroom. The talented, detail-oriented, and creative individuals on this team are the frontline of our business. Every incident created in the Citizen app is managed by a member of the Operations team. Citizen’s Central Operations Team consists of former journalists, copywriters, content creators, and first responders, who all have a passion for keeping their communities safe and informed.
Citizen is searching for a National Operations Manager who will play a key role in leading our mission-critical 24/7 Video Desk. In this role, you will lead a high-performing team of Content Moderators who are motivated by keeping millions of our users safe and informed. As a team leader you will cultivate happiness while guiding the team through feedback, mentoring, development, and engagement. You will report to our Head of Operations and aid in setting team goals while using data to effectively measure them.
Please note that we run a 24/7/365 operation and candidates must have the flexibility to occasionally work weekends.
- Set and clearly communicate direction and goals with regular coaching and feedback for continuous performance improvement.
- Ensure team members are happy, effective, and growing in their career and work experiences.
- Manage a team of 5 Content Moderators who oversee the moderation of all Citizen user submitted content, including video and chat.
- Build a world-class video monitoring, editing, and distribution organization that ensures Citizen is live broadcasting the most accurate, high quality videos around every incident.
- Instill a sense of creative ownership across the team, understanding that the curation and promotion of user-generated videos is a creative endeavor that brings texture and personality to the Citizen app.
- Dig into the workflows, teams, and create efficiencies to drive faster video editing and approvals.
- Monitor operational metrics and response times and redirect team activities as needed.
- Work with leadership to set team goals and establish reporting processes that ensure leadership is always in the loop.
- Partner with cross-functional peers to ensure best practices are shared and the entire Operations team is operating at the highest standards.
- Help build the team and broader company through management projects such as recruiting, training, defining policies and processes.
- Research and verify reported information on key events to ensure accurate alerts are shared with the Citizen network.
- At least 1 year of direct people management experience for a team (preferably in a fast-changing environment and/or a start up).
- Superior leadership skills with proven ability to effectively manage and develop a diverse group of people into a cohesive high-performing team.
- Strong operational background and a track-record of analytically setting goals and then leading, inspiring, and motivating others to deliver and measuring results.
- Flexible to constantly-changing priorities and managing multiple tasks simultaneously within tight time frames.
- Experience working in a Newsroom / Safety / Security operations center is a plus.
- Firm understanding and experience working with live video content.
- Experience managing in a remote environment is preferred.
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks. Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.