Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
- Scaling: We have one of the fastest-growing organic user bases in NYC, and have expanded to more than 30 cities across the U.S.. We are focused on the nationwide launch and the need to support that scale. A Citizen international launch will follow.
- Analytics and Experimentation: every component of our product and business is continually measured and optimized through our modern data stack. Ours are some of the most interesting and impactful analytical problems in the world: lives are on the line!
- Machine learning: We process thousands of hours of audio every day looking for incidents that impact our users’ safety, and have delivered billions of hyper-local notifications. To do this at scale, we’ve built ML models for audio analysis and targeting using the current state of the art from academia.
Our Stack - languages and technologies we use and teach
- Data Analysis: SQL + Python/R via Periscope and Google Colaboratory
- Data Infrastructure: DBT, Google BigQuery, Segment, Stitch
- Mobile: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Web: React.js, TypeScript
- Services: Go for transactional systems; Python for analytical systems
- Datastores: Cassandra, MySQL, Redis, Google PubSub
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes on Google Cloud
- Our core challenges come from intersecting our growing internal datasets on user behavior and those on real time crime, fire, and medical incidents
- Lead product analysis and experimentation to govern development direction
- Deliver big-picture, cross-team insights to drive company strategy
- Contribute to data team infrastructure and best practices to increase velocity
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in data science or analytics
- Proficiency in programming/scripting and experience with statistical packages like R, Python/Pandas, etc
- Strong knowledge of relational databases and ability to write SQL code at an expert level
- Natural intuition for consumer products and businesses based on them
- Aptitude with numbers, intellectual curiosity about metrics and measuring impact
- Enjoyment of learning and teaching
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.