Citizen is a free app that keeps you and your loved ones safe. It is a powerful force for good that has already helped deliver lifesaving care in medical emergencies, evacuated people from burning buildings, diverted school buses from nearby terrorist attacks and reunited missing children with their parents.
Using our unique technology, 911 alerts are made available to the public and are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content to provide you with the information you need to protect yourself and your loved ones. Our Citizen Protect subscription offering is a first-of-its-kind technology, which bundles access to on-demand safety agents and a suite of emergency responses.
This year Citizen will expand further across the United States with the express mission of making your world a safer place. We’re looking for mission-driven, humble, and curious new team members to help us solve safety for everyone, everywhere. With a group of passionate builders from Facebook, Square, Stripe, Uber, and Tesla, Citizen is the company your current company doesn’t want you to know about.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, and Founders Fund and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
- Scaling: We have one of the fastest-growing organic user bases in NYC, and have expanded to more than 30 cities across the U.S.. We are focused on the nationwide launch and the need to support that scale. A Citizen international launch will follow.
- Analytics and Experimentation: every component of our product and business is continually measured and optimized through our modern data stack. Ours are some of the most interesting and impactful analytical problems in the world: lives are on the line!
- Machine learning: We process thousands of hours of audio every day looking for incidents that impact our users’ safety, and have delivered billions of hyper-local notifications. To do this at scale, we’ve built ML models for audio analysis and targeting using the current state of the art from academia.
Our Stack - languages and technologies we use and teach
- Data Analysis: SQL + Python/R via Periscope and Google Colaboratory
- Data Infrastructure: DBT, Google BigQuery, Segment, Stitch
- Mobile: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Web: React.js, TypeScript
- Services: Go for transactional systems; Python for analytical systems
- Datastores: Cassandra, MySQL, Redis, Google PubSub
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes on Google Cloud
- Our core challenges come from intersecting our growing internal datasets on user behavior and those on real time crime, fire, and medical incidents
- Lead product analysis and experimentation to govern development direction
- Deliver big-picture, cross-team insights to drive company strategy
- Contribute to data team infrastructure and best practices to increase velocity
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in data science or analytics
- Proficiency in programming/scripting and experience with statistical packages like R, Python/Pandas, etc
- Strong knowledge of relational databases and ability to write SQL code at an expert level
- Natural intuition for consumer products and businesses based on them
- Aptitude with numbers, intellectual curiosity about metrics and measuring impact
- Enjoyment of learning and teaching
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.