Circle is a global crypto finance company, built on blockchain technology, powered by crypto assets, and dedicated to helping people and institutions create and share value globally. With our suite of products, we enable our customers to send and receive money around the world easily, as well as invest in and trade crypto assets.
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) will be the face and leader of Circle’s Compliance Program and Circle compliance culture. The CCO will build, operationalize, and manage a robust technology-driven compliance program and lead a team of dedicated compliance professionals; advise on all aspects of existing, new, and uncertain regulatory frameworks on a global basis; develop, audit, and monitor effective tools and compliance systems; lead successful training programs and risk assessments; align compliance operations to Circle’s overall business strategy; and preserve and enhance Circle’s reputation for excellence and integrity. The CCO will be a highly seasoned, effective, and strategic compliance executive, capable of driving change across multiple product lines and clearly communicating that program to internal and external stakeholders. This CCO must come to Circle with deep knowledge of existing anti-money laundering and sanctions laws and regulations, and a strong familiarity with payments, banking, commodity, and securities laws and regulations. The ideal candidate has broker-dealer experience, and currently holds or formerly held a Series 7 and 24 registration with FINRA.
What you’ll work on
- Lead Circle’s global compliance program
- Create and perform ongoing risk assessments and compliance reviews to ensure compliance policies and risk controls are operating appropriately and at levels that meet or exceed regulatory expectations and requirements
- Oversee and implement policies and procedures which govern the operations of Circle’s compliance program, and to implement, monitor, test, and report Circle’s compliance with those policies procedures
- Ensure Circle is prepared for compliance with existing and developing federal, state, and global laws and regulations across Circle’s product lines and geographies
- Work with Circle’s product and engineering teams to build software-based solutions to Circle’s most critical compliance challenges
- Monitor and report results of the compliance efforts of the program and provide guidance for senior leadership and the Board of Directors on matters relating to compliance
- Monitor the performance of the compliance program and related activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve effectiveness
- Act as a strategic business partner for senior leadership on compliance matters of major importance to the company and provide information related to all aspects of the compliance program
- Provide an independent review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance issues/concerns are appropriately evaluated, investigated, and resolved
- Provide senior thought leadership, guidance, education, and support to all levels of the company on compliance and related risk areas, and promote a strong compliance culture
- Act as liaison with legal and regulatory bodies on compliance-related issues
- Promote a process for regularly mapping Circle’s compliance policies and procedures and conflicts of interest so that disclosures are current, complete, and informative
- Review marketing materials in compliance with SEC requirements and global counterparts and Circle’s compliance program
- Act as a senior daily advisor to the CLO.
What you’ll bring to Circle
- J.D. from a top tier law school or an experienced compliance professional with an MBA, CPA, and/or finance background or both;
- 15+ years of compliance experience
- A combination of top-tier law firm training with significant exposure to compliance and regulatory enforcement matters
- Experience in the private sector within a regulatory/compliance consulting practice, relevant government experience, or working in the securities, financial services, payments, or comparable industry space as a senior compliance officer
- Experience interacting with federal, state, and global regulators, including the SEC and CFTC and equivalent global regulators
- Extensive experience developing, managing, and leading teams
- Experience influencing and leading organizational change
- Strong analytical problem solving and project management skills
- Excellent relationship building skills and ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to identify and analyze complex regulatory issues and their effect on the business
- Strong knowledge of the business, compliance, and regulatory regimes related to cryptocurrency
- Compliance certifications/credentials would be a plus
- Series 7 and 24 registration with FINRA is preferred.
Circle was founded in 2013 by internet entrepreneurs Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville. We’re backed by $250 million from investors including Jim Breyer (Facebook), Goldman Sachs, IDG Capital (Baidu, Tencent), General Catalyst (AirBnB, Snapchat), Accel Partners, and Bitmain, with offices in Boston, New York, San Francisco, Dublin, London and Hong Kong.
Circle Pay enables customers to send and receive money, across borders and currencies. Circle Invest empowers consumers to buy and sell crypto assets. Circle Trade is one of the world’s top market makers for major crypto coins and offers OTC trading services for institutions and high net worth individuals. Additionally, in 2018 Circle acquired Poloniex and signed an agreement to acquire SeedInvest, both of which enable us to expand our offerings even further. Poloniex is one of the world's leading token marketplaces. SeedInvest is the largest equity crowdfunding platform in the United States, as well as a licensed broker-dealer.
Check us out at circle.com and download Circle Pay & Circle Invest for iOS and Android today.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.