We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
We seek to enhance the regulatory team supporting our Real Estate, Private Equity and Infrastructure businesses with a role specializing in in reviewing, analyzing, and negotiating the derivative agreements that govern the relationships between our clients and their dealer bank counterparties. These documents may include the Master Agreements developed by the International Swaps & Derivatives Association (ISDA), ISDA Definitions, ISDA Credit Support Annexes, trade confirmations, clearing agreements, futures agreements, foreign exchange agreements, regulatory documents, and other related documentation.
In this role you will:
- Be a subject matter expert on the various ISDA Agreements, Definitions, regulatory documentation, and market standards governing our client’s interest rate, foreign exchange, and commodity transactions.
- Effectively share knowledge relating to ISDA agreements and market standards with clients; educate colleagues on ISDA terms and market standards; and develop and maintain internal and external communication tools that effectively and proactively share this subject matter expertise.
- Work in partnership with Chatham’s hedging teams, clients, and client counsels to negotiate derivatives documentation.
- Understand hedging mechanisms and provisions in underlying commercial loan and security documents.
- Identify and communicate industry regulatory and documentation developments and trends, and develop strategies to effectively guide internal hedging advisory teams and clients through potential market impacts.
- The role may also include opportunities to contribute to the team in other capacities as interests and team needs align.
Your impact: This is an important role within the team, and individuals who perform well will be highly valued team members across our Real Estate, Private Equity and Infrastructure practices. Career development opportunities involve contributing to cross-team projects and system changes; fostering relationships with internal stakeholders, clients, law firms, and counterparty banks; involvement in industry working groups to provide end-user perspectives on derivatives documentation issues; and becoming a resident expert in derivatives documentation.
Contributors to your success:
- 3+ years of experience in a legal field is required; J.D. is preferred but not required
- 1-3 years of experience working with derivatives, ISDA or contract review, or in private equity or commercial real estate transactions, is required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle a deadline-driven workload; good time management and ability to prioritize
- Ability to read and understand information quickly
- Ability to synthesize information, with a high-level commercial perspective
- Ability to discuss and negotiate pros and cons of legal provisions
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to appropriately assess and convey the importance of issues to colleagues and clients
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial is the largest independent financial risk management advisory and technology firm. A leader in debt and derivative solutions, Chatham provides clients with access to in-depth knowledge, innovative tools, and an incomparable team of over 600 employees to help mitigate risks associated with interest rate, foreign currency, and commodity exposures. Founded in 1991, Chatham serves more than 3,500 companies across a wide range of industries — handling over $1 trillion in transaction volume annually and helping businesses maximize their value in the capital markets, every day. To learn more, visit chathamfinancial.com.