Life Skills Instructor
Two Openings: Bronx and Downtown Manhattan, NY
We are seeking an engaging, adaptable, and inspirational Life Skills Educator (LSE) to lead large group workshops for our program participants -- justice-involved men and women ages 18-25-- that prepare them for success in temporary and permanent employment. The workshops are comprised of 20-30 participants and take place in our Bronx office.
CEO's Staff Vaccination Policy
CEO has implemented an org-wide vaccination requirement that requires all new staff to be fully vaccinated or to have received one dose of the Pfizier or Moderna shot before their first day of work. We have made this decision for the safety of our participants and employees and to enhance our ability to continue to provide the vital services we offer to our participants. As part of the onboarding process, new hires will be asked to submit proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and perhaps are already working in the re-entry field
- You come to CEO with at least 2 years of experience teaching or leading group presentations
- You consider yourself to be a people person with the ability to lift morale and present content in a way that’s exciting and engaging to participants
- You’re inspirational and passionate about helping individuals become the best version of themselves
- You’re able to learn and convey curricula quickly and accurately using your excellent communication skills and flexibility to change up your style to ensure participant understanding
- You’re comfortable with providing the feedback and support necessary to facilitate the development of participant knowledge and skills
- You take other perspectives into account when analyzing problems
- You’re self-motivated, diligent, resilient, and demonstrate stamina and vigor as you hold yourself accountable to deadlines and outcomes, even in the face of adversity or setbacks
- You’re highly organized with top-notch time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities seamlessly or ask for support with prioritization when needed
- You’re very comfortable learning new technologies that an organization adopts/implements
- You’re bilingual in English/Spanish (preferred not required)
Key responsibilities of the LSE include but are not limited to:
Teaching, Coaching, and Supporting
- Presenting well-prepared, organized, and clear content that follows CEO’s course syllabus to participants enthusiastically and with deep care
- Guiding and coaching participants in key preparatory activities tied to employment, including writing professional resumes, networking, and mock interviewing
- Helping participants become job-start ready by promoting their development and effective utilization of communication and self-presentation skills
- Engaging participants in ongoing discussions about their employment goals
- Offering support, encouragement. and constructive feedback to all participants
- Keeping abreast of current practices and events that could impact participants; making suggestions about new material to incorporate into the curriculum
- Ensuring that participants’ experiences are strong and adhere to best practices
- Keeping Parole Officers in the loop regarding individual participants
- Creating an engaging and interactive learning environment for participants
- Inputting participants into our case management system (Salesforce)
- Monitoring and recording class attendance
- Consistently and accurately documenting all participant contact and progress in our case management system
- Escorting participants to nearby agencies to apply for documents when needed
- Performing other tasks and responsibilities that will be assigned from time to time
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $45,000/annually. In an effort to be both equitable and transparent, CEO's compensation philosophy considers a variety of factors, including, but not limited to, experience, internal equity, and home office location in making a final determination on our salary offer. We recognize that salary is a part of the overall compensation package and are happy to provide health, dental, 401k, and professional development opportunities to our staff.
We also offer paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
The Center for Employment Opportunities believes that everyone deserves the chance to shape a stronger future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Our commitment to being an anti-racism organization that is inclusive across all identities and experiences drives us forward every day. We exist to create greater opportunities for people who face multiple barriers to personal and professional success, and we’re passionate about being agents of change who promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and access to opportunities for all.
People who are justice involved, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+ , and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.